Composite stone or laminate bench top for valuation purpose on PPOR

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ko Ko Naing, 8th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Hi,
    With all equity dried up, I am looking to renovate my current PPOR to top up the loan. So starting with kitchen, which one do you think, in the eyes of valuer, will add value to the kitchen: Composite stone(Ceasarstone, etc.) or laminate bench top? Does it even matter the valuer whether it is a composite stone or granite or marble? The suburb is not in a low socio area, if that matters.

Thanks!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Stone always trumps laminate.

wylie likes this.
  3. Jane Eyles-Bennett

Jane Eyles-Bennett Member

Got any pictures? I agree that stone always trumps laminate but then so does it's cost. There are some great laminates out there which could be suitable. The way to make sure a laminate top looks most modern is to give it a square edge (not bullnose) or a 'squareform (Laminex trade name)' which is a slightly round squared edge if you know what I mean. If you do go with a laminate and you choose the Diamondgloss product from Laminex or something similar, stay light. The dark colours are terrible to keep clean and you see all the streaks until they are polished. Urgghh!

On the other hand it's your PPOR so perhaps you just bite the bullet and spend a bit extra on stone if you're planning to stay there long term. Generally, I'd say stay neutral which, depending on your existing kitchen might mean white, off-white, light grey. Dark granites and marbles are not a good choice I don't believe (but they CAN be - depends on the kitchen).

Ha - hope that hasn't confused you!

Ko Ko Naing likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd agree with going stone, but also wonder if it is worth the extra if your main aim is that it value up? Does it need replacing? If not, then I'd think you will add value but it is going to cost you thousands more just to add thousands more value.

5. Ko Ko Naing

The current laminated bench top is still usable with no scratches or anything. But it just looks outdated. I'm just trying to make it look modern and nice in the eyes of a valuer.

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Maybe give this stuff a crack, if that's all you're trying for: Benchtop Transformations® Product Page

7. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

if you use the kitchen a lot - it would be better off with stone. caeasarstone is really a brand name only for Composite stone or quartz. The cheapest stone in the market is

YDL Stone – the better stone

just go with builder range or try ambassador stone. Marble is porous and hence you have to be careful not to damage it. IT is also more expensive depending on the type of marble you choose however some prefer a rough edge over others. The into thing now is the calculatta veins type of stone. i updated a place of mine with this benchtop 55cm edge

upload_2016-2-8_15-31-41.png

Last edited: 8th Feb, 2016
  8. Ko Ko Naing

Thanks for sharing, @melbournian That looks awesome!

Did you only update the bench top or the whole kitchen?
    Which company did you use in Melbourne? We are in an eastern suburb.

9. Ko Ko Naing

Thanks for this, @Propertunity Back to my original question, does the valuer usually know if it is a stone or a stone-look one?

10. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

The kitchen was on there first and had a laminate top (i just put it on over it - using a stonemason). i have a mate you is also a cabinet maker as well. if you are only doing your benchtops - i can PM you the stonemason's details. no need to go caesarstone (it is the top brand), just go with another no name brand.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.