Complete Unit renovation Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sackie, 17th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep, what brand ? I should be able to get a good price as I know all the discount warehouses here .

2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I try to find and correct the fault in me, myself, and try to learn from others....

3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Hi MWI
    What is the thing on the left and right in your wardrobe? It's the grey think on the side and then tubing over with the handle thing in the middle.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s a pulley system for the elevated clothes rail. To bring it down to usable height.

MWI and Handyandy like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I hate the dust gap above cupboards. To the roof all the way!

qak, Dean Collins, Joynz and 3 others like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It also looks like 2.7m ceilings. Lots of extra storage especially when space is a premium in a unit

MWI and Perthguy like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd never reach them either, but I'd store things there that only need to accessed once a year... extra doonas, spare pillows, etc. Having always lived in old houses, we've never had decent storage until we built it ourselves.

Dean Collins and Sackie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I always like to go all the way to the ceiling with built ins. The top is great for storage.

MWI and Perthguy like this.
  9. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Winning appliances had formed packages and since it was to be a rental I went with stainless steel and Westinghouse brand. Just checked paid $1,699.00 for all four items including free delivery for metro suburbs.

10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Wardrobe Main Bedroom CS.PNG
    Like Joynz said, a pulley system, since the height of wardrobe was all the way up, we need to reach somehow at lower or average height levels, very handy indeed I used it in my PPOR too.
    Sometimes limited spaces can have built-ins above or all around the bed hence the pulley lever system is utilised.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what we are going with except for the range hood, wanted a more powerful one. Haven't locked in price yet but $1700 is a very good price.

12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Exactly, extra storage is sometimes rare in small units and most welcomed. Never enough storage space for me too....I utilise it anyway I can even in garages, nooks under stairs, corridor spaces with cupboards all the way up, basements, etc...

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@MWI Do you remember what you paid for demo and removal of carpet/vanities/cupboards/glass/toilet etc

Thanks

14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Sorry used our tradies from running our separate business including waste removal.
    Electrical and plumbing would be extra for disconnections prior, maybe also toilet hire and waste removal bin or transport out.
    It really depends whether it is demo or removal, demo of wall for opening, removal of whole bathroom including tiles, require waste bin/toilet hire for tradies, their insurance cover - do you pay for that or they?
    The fixtures and fittings are easy enough to do (carpet/vanities/cupboards).
    I would think perhaps $3K but I really cannot comment it really depends whether you outsource the full task or not...?

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Getting some quotes for everything so will be interesting to see what it comes back at. I got 1 person who is suuuuuuper cheap for everything he does so cant wait to see his quote :)

16. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Do that but ask on paper and commit to start and finish dates. Sometimes can obtain cheaper quotes but their availability may slow you renovation? Had a painter in QLD who could only start two weeks after and required two weeks to do the job, so went with slightly dearer but still worked out less costly in the end (came on time and finished earlier too!).
    Made him accountable to deadline as I said I booked photographer for such and such date and time hence had to be certain the painting project was finished!

Remember there is always a hidden holding cost....hence negotiating skills on your part are vital too!

Yes agree, on NSW project we used external painter as he was cheaper than our tradies, sometimes new start-up businesses, can negotiate better deals.

Dean Collins and Perthguy like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips :)

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Some more layouts/angles/renderings. The colors/taps/sink in the renderings are not what's going to be the end result. Cupboards will be similar white gloss.

k1.JPG

k2.JPG

k3.JPG

k4.JPG

k5.JPG

k6.JPG

Some prelim color schemes I am playing around with for the kitchen. Nothing locked in yet:

Benchtops: Calcutta Novo

calcutta novo .jpg

This stone or similar for the splash back: Vanilla Noir

vanila noir splashback or similar.PNG

Floor tile for kitchen: 600x600mm Grey Polished Concrete

600x600mm Grey Polished Concrete Look Rectified .jpg

Perthguy, MWI and wylie like this.
  19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Depending how many IPs you have or need to renovate and whether for rental or sale, I use two templates for colour schemes, either cool for grey or warmer for cream/sandy colour. They would apply to all paints or benches or tiles, floor coverings. Basically this helps me with costs savings, as future projects could reuse the same or similar materials, left over tiling, paint, floor coverings, etc...
    Also, I apply more expensive items to higher end properties, so for example the same stone bench top would be used for kitchen bench, splashback and say in the bathroom on the vanity.
    006.JPG

121.JPG

131.JPG
    Suburb is close to beach 2 minute walk so I went with sandy warm neutral colours. See in the bathroom used it on top of vanity and window sill, whereas same stone used in kitchen as bench tops, window sill and splashback. In addition I made the colour of walls in similar warm colour to make it flow and seem bigger rather than contrast with strong colour splashback....
    The stronger colour would be used for standout feature, like say the fire place, cost effective way to make it stand out from old red brick it was, just render it and paint it 200% stronger or different colour.
    This QLD IP cost effective way was to paint the feature wall 200% strength.
    MC QLD.PNG
    So it really depends on cost and IP you are renovating, more expensive houses in premium suburbs I have used the same joinery material (Tasmanian oak) for kitchen panels, kitchen contrast border, bathroom vanities, etc...
    I just think it is more cost justifiable to use the same materials as much as possible (even between other projects - if possible) and also makes the place more coherent and flowing.
    Whether rentals or sales I use stainless steel appliances hence I stick to that colour templates so I rarely use black additions - unless they are already there (even though they may be trendy now). I suppose if you use the black appliances a black backsplash can match but it will be a big contrast between white and black. For smaller areas I tend to flow the colours in to make the space or area seem bigger as sometimes the strong contrast can make it look smaller?
    I also did attend Cherie Barber's Renovation workshop and do like her Cosmetic Style Guide as a guide (why reinvent the wheel - she hired interior designers to appeal to most)!
    Obviously when I did my place then it was custom based, emotional rather that cost justified decision....

Dean Collins likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your tips. I also did Cherie's course many years ago and found it useful when starting out. I also found her to be a very genuine person.