Complete resurfacing and timber flooring - looking for cheapest option

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cbarchangela, 12th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cbarchangela

Cbarchangela Active Member

Hi all,

I need some guidance for unit "renovations". So I've just moved in to my own unit after being leased for 2 years and looking for some resurfacing/refacing and timber flooring options as the property is around 40 years old and has been kept pretty much in its original state since then (think about a brown pink kitchen!!)

I definitely need to change the carpets into timber laminate flooring and perhaps a kitchen and bathroom resurfacing (including taken down old shower screen and perhaps changing toilets, or a new vanity if i have spare budget. I don't really know how much I should spend for for all those three things (timber laminate, kitchen and bathroom).

And how do I start? I'd like to get quotes from some handymen, but i dont want to waste their time either if i'm out of the budget range. My unit is around 90-100 sq m in size excluding balcony)

Any guidance/tips/etc are welcome!

Thanks!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You'd be best advised to check with the BC about whether or not you would be allowed to do this - some strata by-laws forbid it, due to increased noise transmission between floors.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Cbarchangela

Cbarchangela Active Member

Thank you for the reminder! I completely forgot. I will email them now.

My unit is on the ground floor though and I wonder if it's forbidden? It's a very old complex. Two-storey of 3 units in each floor.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Take a look at some flooring suppliers as they will be able to tell you $ cost per sqm for the floorboards, (allow for a few extra sqm) - then if you want quotes to install call some builders and speak to them over the phone they should be able to give a rough estimate without wasting too much of their time, only way to know is to ask.

Speaking from my own experience, I've changed my ground floor apartment flooring from carpet to floorboards and no approval was necessary from BC (in QLD)

Propertunity likes this.
  5. Elysium

Elysium Active Member

I was quoted about 3000-3500 AUD for bamboo floor and installation for a 58 sqm unit. Go to some hardwood flooring shops, they have all the infos.

Body Corporate might have requirements about the level of foam (noise) insulation that goes under the hardwood, due to noise issue.