Commsec New Starter

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Lone_Wolf, 16th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

This is one of the reasons I gave up on the heavy fundamental analysis and decided it wasn't for me. My wife has worked in the finance departments of many listed companies (some of which have since gone bust and delisted), and you realise how much can be hidden (legally) from the view of the outside world. Consolidated annual reports can look incredibly rosy even when things in reality are hitting rock bottom....

The Y-man

2. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Plenty of fraud in the financial market I have no doubt, I lives through it all, from Enron to slater and gordon thanks god I don't have any exposure to them because with a bit of luck and skills I avoid them all.

Just because the market is risky and there are some bad apples, doesn't mean you should avoid them, yes there are things that are risky and I cant manage the risk I will completely avoid them

that why risk management is a important part in any investment process, like you never concentrate on one position or sector that can do substantial damage to your capital doesn't matter how safe or good it is.

I have many stock run start with 5% then it ballooned to 35% of my portfolio, what do I do? risk management kicked in, if something happen to this stock it can do some serious damage to my capital.

I lighten the load and capped it at 10%, can it goes higher and I lose out more gain? it always possible but it is not a risk I am willing to take.
    Safeguard what I have is better than getting more of what I don't need is my moto

definitely there are times I lighten the loads and stuff keep going higher and there are time I lighten the load it it fall back significantly so there is no perfect scenario, there is only risk management.

this pay out for me all the time on a regular basis I have to mange this risk and that why my capital keep growing and don't get quacked with a big dent.

I give you an example of lighten the load I did last year and it now complete and I am satisfied
    I have JIN it gone from 4% to over 35% of my portfolio due to incredible capital gain

I sold into the mega darling bull run it now 5% of my capital where it goes up and down I don't care I still has some exposure but my risk management on it is done, it goes to zero no worry I made a bucket load, its capital get recycle into newer stock pick or safe guard into Aussie billionaire business

Last 2 parcels I sold 25.50 and 27.303 it went on a bit higher to nearly $28
    Am I a genius selling near the top? definitely not, I just I execute my risk management and that how it end up.

Now I am facing another stock management process in my SMSF, I rather not say until I am done with lighten the load, I sold a parcel a few days ago, a few more to go as it step up as the mega darling I sell into the run

then possibility next year I have to do it again for another stock, it has a good run but not at a stage where I need to execute the risk management.

Lone_Wolf likes this.