Commision to Mortgage Brokers

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by darrelj, 1st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. darrelj

darrelj Well-Known Member

interested to know one thing.
    Once a loan is worked out by a mortgage broker, do they get a commision paid by the lender on regular basis throughout the period of loan or is it only a one-off thing.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Both - an upfront payment and a smaller monthly payment.

3. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Hi Darrell, the commission will generally be disclosed upfront in a credit proposal document. There will be a up front payment plus ongoing trail paid by the bank. This will be subject to "clawback" - that is if you refinance within a period of say 18 months, the poor MB will have to pay back their commission. This sux, as they have done all the work. I must say in the years that I have been MB I have never had a clawback - fingers crossed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Ivan

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2017
    L3ha7 likes this.
  4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

A lump sum commission is paid a month or two after settlement - we then get an ongoing trail commission which is paid monthly.

If you close down the loan within the first two years the lender usually takes back the upfront commission.

Cheers

Jamie

L3ha7 likes this.
  5. darrelj

6. darrelj

Thanks it is clear to me now. So if the borrower decides to switch loans but intends to use the same broker, will the broker take the same interest as he did during the initial loan.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If by switch loans you mean change banks then the broker may have to give back the original commission - the clawback mentioned by Redwood - so they may not be getting a double commission in this case.

8. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

As others have noted - brokers receive an upfront amount for the origination of the loan and then an ongoing amount for the maintenance/service of the loan. For the most part trail is fairly small - so the aggregate value of all the trails of various loans coming in and not all loans requiring service at any one time is the only way it's viable to continue speaking to clients post settlement without having to charge a fee for service.

If the loan is refinanced/paid out in the first 18-24 months the broker will be forced to pay a clawback (think of it as a fine) back to the lender, of up to 100% of the commission earned.

The upfront and ongoing trail doesn't affect your loan interest rate or costs - the same costs are provided if going direct to bank as they have to have staff provide the same service. There's argument as to whether it may be cheaper for banks to generate their loans via brokers than staff, but no definitive study has been released.

Blueskies likes this.
  9. darrelj

My first owner occupied home loan was worked through a mortgage broker. 2 years later I got an IP but did the loan direct with the bank without a mortgager broker's involvement.
    1. is the initial loan mortgage broker updated about my second IP loan
    2. will the mortgage broker's commission increase because of my second loan.

10. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

1. If the original loan was refinanced as part of the purchase of the IP then yes, the broker will know. If the IP loan is with a different lender then the broker won't know.
    2. No. It's a separate loan and will have no impact on his commission. The exception is if the OO loan was refinanced by the IP bank (due to rate seduction or crossing of securities) in which case he will lose the trail on the OO loan.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sexy broker talk eh....

Tifoso, Jess Peletier and lowIQ like this.
  12. Phantom

It's a term I use when someone is 'seduced' strictly by the rate and doesn't consider anything else as part of a greater finance strategy.

tobe likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

emm hmp. Sure. ;)

14. darrelj

• The lender was the same for both loans
    • The Equity of the Owner Occupied home was used to get the IP
    How does this effect the initial mortgage broker?

15. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Cross collateralised it seems.

Existing broker would be unlikely to know and their trails should be unaffected.

16. Phantom

In that case, the broker wouldn't know. But as Terry has mentioned there is a high chance they have used the security from your OO residence in addition to the security from the new IP. This is generally not a good structure.

Is there any reason why you didn't go back to the broker for the IP?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

There's any number of permutations here. Depending on the lender, how the loans are structured and how the applications are implemented, the broker might get an increase in trail commissions, it might stay the same or their commission might be eliminated entirely. The broker definitely wouldn't get any commission at all on the new loan.

It's unlikely that the broker would receive a clawback so it's unlikely that the broker would be asking the client to reimburse them under a clawback provision. Beyond that I don't really see why the borrower would care about the brokers commission as it has no effect on them.

Brady and Lindsay_W like this.
  18. darrelj

Not really. I knew the broker well. But I thought there was no need for that. I must say here that I consider myself an ammeter in this context.

19. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I think I would like to be a MB ;)

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

me too. Mortgage brokers are racking it in I hear :cool:

L3ha7 likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia