Commercial Zone 1 to Residential

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Jacob91, 15th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacob91

Jacob91 Member

Hi All,

Looking at a property classed as Commercial Zone 1 (Melbourne) to use as Residential. From my understanding CZ1 can be used as Residential without requiring a planning permit with the condition that the property is not setback 2m from the boundary.
    The property I am looking at is hard up against the boundary so no issue there.
    I find it odd that this would be the only condition. Could anyone clarify? Is there anything else to keep in mind with this sort of purchase?
    This strip has 6 or so properties all classed as CZ1 and surrounded by full Residential use. Bit hard to make our whether the other properties are being used as residential or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jacob

2. Jaxon Avery

Jaxon Avery Well-Known Member

To be honest the best two things, letter to Town planning and get confirmation and lodge an application for using as main place of residence (QLD this can be approved and you have a fallback)
    speak to your potential neighbors and get clarity as this will provide more than an online report
    Australia wide people live in commercially zoned areas, some due to no other options, I mean I personally wouldn't be to concerned

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Aug, 2018
  3. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

usually in commercial zone you need at least one commercial use for the property. Most common one is a retail shop on ground level and apartments on top