Commercial property case study

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by HUGH72, 27th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I know very little about commerical property but regularly browse listings. I'm interested in people's thoughts on this:

7B Derby Street, Rockhampton City Qld 4700 - For Sale

Short term lease only, limited floor space with height/space restrictions but nice net return and a low cost investment. I'm not sure of the demand for this type of property? Weak local economy and might have trouble finding a new tenant if it becomes vacant. I haven't checked if it's in a flood zone.

If it was a 5-7 year lease with a 10% net yield you could quickly pay down any debt reducing risk.
    I'm not buying, just keen to get everyone's thoughts on these types of properties.
    Thanks
    Hugh.
    @Beano @Scott No Mates

RickProp, RetireRich101 and Perthguy like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a little bit odd when the tenant has been there for 6 years but there's no equipment, materials, stock or tools etc in the premises.

Is it owner occupied?

HUGH72 likes this.
  3. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Short term lease should be read as no lease in place. I bought a property once with a short term lease and buy the time I settled the tenant had given me notice they were leaving - despite everything looking good from the outset (happened a long time ago).

I also find that cheaper commercial properties (say sub $2m) get a lot of tenant turnover as you are dealing with small businesses who cannot afford to buy the property themselves.

And it looks vacant.

HUGH72 likes this.
  4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Rockhampton, I'd stay away.

I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't, given where it's on the map.

HUGH72 likes this.
  5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Possibly, I didn't think of that, I thought maybe a small distribution warehouse.

6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, the return looks a little high for such a low entry price. Most of a small investor properties seem to have yields closer to 7-8% net, at least in capital cities.

7. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Haha..The residential market is very weak there presently. I'm more interested in how to assess commercial property like this.

8. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

And if the property loses a tenant it could be empty for two years with a -7% yield including vo's and interest and you then lose another year with incentives and agents commission to get a tenant in the door.

HUGH72 likes this.
  9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Your not selling it to me Ross, I guess that's why I find residential property so much easier. The better tenants on long leases like medical centres and supermarkets are big investments which if you get wrong could set you back 10 years or worse. I thought the entry price, with tenant and 10%yield looked interesting.

Ross Forrester likes this.
  10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

E grade property, with E grade tenant, in an E grade location.

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck......

pinkboy

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You need to remember that if you are borrowing money to buy the prop, in the worst case the bank can call the entire loan back (1 month notice to pay back) if there is no tenant.

So make sure you have deep pockets if going into a short term lease scenario (had a relo where the tenant went bust - got a nasty call from the bank when they found out)

The Y-man

13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Thanks Y-man, if I go down this path it will be using funds secured against a resi property only. I'm not looking to buy there only keen to get some feedback and thoughts on this type deal.

14. RickProp

RickProp Well-Known Member

This is a pure example of how people buy on yield without considering quality of tenant, lease, location etc. They see "10%" and all else goes out the window. Good lesson to be learnt. Even if it were a longer lease, tenant quality and location are not great. Rather go half the yield for 80% less risk and not have long vacancies. Also looks strata so limited value add available.Buy quality, not quantity.

Jennifer Duke and HUGH72 like this.