Comments on floorplan - new build

Discussion in 'Development' started by lynchy, 16th Nov, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    Hi all,

I'm starting the process for a KDR and am looking for feedback on my current floorplan. I'm $100-$150k over budget at the moment so any ideas on how to reduce any big-ticket items would be appreciated! South facing backyard so trying to introduce as much light as possible is one of the big requirements thus the double height living with sky lights

One potential change, which will only add to the cost is to move the pool to the rear of the yard so it gets sun all day and to extend the alfreso to where the pool is so I can have outdoor dining AND outdoor lounge areas. I'm big on spending time outside and entertaining

Have at it :)

[​IMG]

2. Gaby

Gaby Well-Known Member

Nice spot - just around the corner from me!

In terms of build cost what times have you included in the fit out/finishes. That will tend to be a good chunk of your budget. Also what material are you building with? Concrete slabs or timber? What is the "budget" if you'd like to share?

lynchy likes this.
  3. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Certainly a small world!

Under $850k excl pool is the aim

At that level I'm talking to project builders like GJ, Icon etc and essentially using a project level facade (with some minor variations to ensure it doesn't look too "project") with a custom floorplan. The finishes will be top level "project home" finishes with some upgrades like brass fixtures and fittings etc

Gaby likes this.
  4. Gaby

Gaby Well-Known Member

Thanks - you would be doing really well to come in under $1m. No real big ticket items I can see on those plans that would save any meaningful $$$. Maybe some other eyes will come along and point out any ideas...

5. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Suggestions from the builder are

- lose the double height living
    - lose the courtyard
    - reduce level of finishes
    - lose 1 or both of the upstairs balconies

That would be about $75k

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A pool can also cost $80-$150K. But if access is tight it can even be more. Builders often dont like big holes in the ground near their worksite.

Pools can be very unappealing when kids get past age 18 and then you have a life time of chores and costs.

7. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

My little ones only 16 months old and another one on the way so we'll get plenty of use of the pool

I also grew up with a pool so I'm desperate to get one in. Likely we'll move it to the rear of the block so it gets maximum north sun while also further away from the structure as you rightly point out

Have had it costed up at $60k for a plungie max incl install - Plungie Australia I Our Pools I Max

Mid $30k for the pool and equipment plus another $30k for install, surrounding tiling etc

8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

If you have small children I would consider losing the courtyard and turning that area into a play/toy room, which could be used as a media room when they are older.

Also with the pool so close to the dining and living areas, what are your plans for windows and/or doors? It would be quite restrictive in terms of meeting pool safely. I would be inclined to put the pool lengthways across the rear of the yard or at the very least push it back a bit so you can have normal opening doors from the living area. I think it costs extra to construct the house too with a pool so close due to extra peering or something (I’m not an expert but was told this when I built). Double height ceiling is very nice but depends on whether you want to spend the budget.

From my experience (others may differ) a balcony off a bedroom is rarely used. So the rear one off the master seems like a waste as it’s not even helping with the facade.

Last edited: 16th Nov, 2022
    craigc likes this.
  9. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Thanks firefly, agree with all the above points. We had the idea of the guest being that games room with a built in fold out bed to use for guests when required. When not required for guests, it’ll become that games room.

we’d like a rear balcony as we get views over a golf course and ocean glimpses of Manly. The topography slopes quite steeply downward after our house so the district views are quite nice. Whether we actually take advantage of those views is another question

10. Firefly99

ahhh I see. You could put in a huge window to capture the views. I have a had a few houses with balconies / views from the master and mainly admired the view while sitting in bed having a morning coffee :) they get really dusty too, and are a pain to clean. You either need to drag a hose up from down below (two person job) or use buckets of water to splash around. Or maybe I’m just very lazy!!!

craigc likes this.
  11. Firefly99

Double post

12. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

You could still get the nice views without a balcony, just a big window.

Maybe the double height isn’t needed for the additional light - you have a window to the courtyard and to the pool I think?

Which leads to, have a think about how you’ll furnish the living room, with windows on two sides.

Every square metre adds to costs. As the courtyard seems extra large, could you decrease the size of it, and the butlers?

lynchy likes this.
  13. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Beautiful plan/home @lynchy - exciting

I’d drop the courtyard, reduce ceiling height in living, keep balconies and pool.

Pool is great for kids - our little ones are similar aged and we use ours a few times a week most months in the year (bar June/July). Get solar to account for heating costs.

Courtyard - personally we’d prefer a bigger single yard - I do like them if that was a home office downstairs to separate the space out (work/home)

cant tell the sizes but maybe make it a bit smaller to save a little. overall if it’s your poor and you can find a way to afford it, long term you’ll likely get it all back so may be worth doing it as is if you can.

lynchy likes this.
  14. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

updated plans below. Almost finalised apart from the below. Open to other suggestions. We're at pretty much the max building area so cant add much more than circa 4sqm

- add fireplace to living
    - add outdoor kitchen
    - skylights to living
    - remove skylights from main bathroom upstairs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. Firefly99

Looks great!
    The must have I can see is a wider garage / can you build to boundary along that side? 5.8m really is the minimum required to get two cars in unless you have two minis or something… I’d aim for 6m if possible.
    A window in the shower in the ensuite would be nice as it might be a bit dark.

Marg4000 likes this.
  16. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

I need neighbours consent to build to the boundary which is a consideration. I'd love to make the garage a little wider and add a proper mud room style entrance with storage

ensuite shower has a skylight which should allow enough light

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Looks good. I would recommend having 820mm (or 770mm if they won't fit) doors to bathrooms and powder rooms if you can. It's a small thing but it really does help with getting in and out.

I'm not sure a skylight in the stairwell void is necessary as you have windows at ground level and the upper level.

I think I'd swap the fridge to the kitchen end of the scullery so it's not such a long walk to get to it if you're cooking and need to grab an ingredient. Oh hang on, never mind, found the other fridge in the kitchen. Disgregard my comment. I have a second fridge in the scullery and it holds drinks and additional freezer space and the one in the kitchen tends to hold all the cooking stuff.

I love the dual access to the laundry. I pop into the laundry all the time directly from my kitchen and it's very handy.

I agree with @Firefly that the garage on boundary would be a great move.

lynchy likes this.
  18. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Customised “project” facade. The standard option is something more suited to out west, in terms of the darker colours, so I’ve customised it for a more coastal look. Still getting the benefit of savings for a mostly project facade

[​IMG]

19. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the neighbours have declined my request to build the garage to the boundary

20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

THat's a shame. I find it odd that it's not a right given to you under your state's design codes. In WA we are allowed to build on one boundary up to a certain length by right and anything over that is at discretion of the council and they advertise anything non conforming.

craigc likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia