Travel & Holidays Commbank Travel Money Card

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sheldrick, 25th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

For people who have looked into or have used the Commbank Travel Money Card, what are your thoughts on it?

I'm thinking of getting one for a couple of weeks holiday overseas. One bit that caught my attention is that it costs $3.50 for each ATM withdrawal which seems a bit pricy. I know if you order it on netbank they waive the $15 for the travel money card.

Thoughts?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

There’s an ANZ Travel credit card or the Citibank debit card you could look into?

Islay likes this.
  3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Citibank debit card from me

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Specifically Citi Plus Everyday account Debit. Great exchange rates. Free at a Citi or linked ATM.
    Incidentally Citi advised us no linked ATM in Germany, but we withdrew cash at a Spakasse ATM and NO FEE!! :)

The Y-man

miximitosis likes this.
  5. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

Another vote for the citibank account. Best option I have found so far by a mile.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

ING Everyday Orange debit offers worldwide free ATMs and no foreign fees if you follow a couple of simple rules in the month before you go. ie deposit $1K and use it for 4-5 eftpos transactions. Even if you get slugged a fee ING reverse it within a few days. Really adds up

The CBA card like so many others has aweful exchange rates too. You pay a 8-10% margin on the currency. And some charge to load the currency top ups after the first on top of that !!

7. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Another Vote for Citibank

8. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Just got these from CBA yesterday - Using for Euro's only, exchange rate is OK not great, bonus is there are no withdrawal fees for the next two months, Dec & Jan. Haven't compared to Citibank or ING but from comments above sounds like you should.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just remember to select ‘credit’ not savings when overseas!

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’ve just got a Bankwest platinum card. No account fees, no transaction fees and free travel insurance if you spend over $500 on tickets etc before you leave.

No idea about the exchange rate though...

Islay likes this.
  11. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I have used citi plus debit card and bankwest platinum credit card for several years now. Exchange rates are reasonable and no issues.

12. nobhouse

nobhouse Active Member

No one had experience with 28 Degrees?

13. The Y-man

I use 28 degrees for online international purchases, and as a backup card when my primary (Citi Plus) fails out.....(as it did on my last overseas trip - for some reason I mucked the PIN up) or where a credit card is required (eg security deposit at many asian hotels)

I don't use it as primary for cash as they have a ATM withdrawal fee (where Citi Plus does not)

Also, I swear the 28Degree exchange rates are never as good as Citi Plus

The Y-man

nobhouse likes this.
  14. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

28 degrees is a credit card. it works well but has this one annoying feature If you make a payment off the card through BPAY, you are charged a payment handling fee of $0.95 (online)

15. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Even better: Citi Australia Citi Global acc

10 currencies in the one account with the same no fee structure.
    This way you can buy currencies when they are cheap to save for future trips.

The everyday acc just exchanges at the time of purchase which means exchange rate could be anything.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2019
  16. The Y-man

Could even do some FX trading while your at it moving money from one account to the other? :D

The Y-man

17. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Have done that a bit with my Velocity Global wallet with success but the rates and comm are a bit steep compared to this from Citi. Think I'll switch over right now !

We just buy any major currency that has been trashed/fallen quite low, and thats where we go next!

The Y-man likes this.
  18. nobhouse

nobhouse Active Member

I don't think that there is a 100% perfect credit card so 28 Degrees is ok if you know who you're dealing with.
    I had to make a complaint to the Ombudsman because they (they sounded local people) tried to avoid liability for the price protection by inventing excuses then another complaint to the Ombudsman (I dealt with people from a developing country) for another issue.
    The thing is if you believe everything they tell you on the phone, there a 50/50 possibility that they are scamming you.

19. nobhouse

nobhouse Active Member

There is a promotion from the Bank of Melbourne they promise $50 credit if you create an account by the 17/01.
    It's a fees free account only for some people like retirees, students, concession card holders etc. etc.which suits me.
    I've been with Commbank for 20+ years and I've had enough from the incompetent staff, the last drop was from a broker who said I wasn't eligible for a loan then I got the loan from another broker.
    So my question is: what is the best alternative to Commbank, consider that I've the 28 Degrees credit card.

20. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Used Bankwest Platinum for our travel credit card and citibank debit card. Both great. No overseas fees etc. Citibank rates were generally good and no conversion fees etc

nobhouse likes this.