Colorbond fencing.. too much?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by samiam, 28th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Just got a quote from REA to replace fence of IP in Newcastle.
    To get rid of existing fence (poor condition hard wood) $1500
    Colourbond fencing (55 metre) $4500

This is only one side only (55 metre) and no shared cost by adjoining property as it is public school :(

Another quote was $7500 plus GST

I think total $6000 plus GST for one side of the fence (55 metre) is too much. Any one done recently? Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Recently had some treated pine fences quoted, about $100/m, demo too was ridicuously high too.

Check the dividing fences act in your state. AFAIK, only councils have an exemption for some (not all fencing).

samiam likes this.
  3. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

$80 a meter for colourbond is prob about right???

The demo it would include dumping, at $280/ton, a $55 meter hard wood fence, prob a fair amount of weight in factored in it.

If you're inclined you could prob have the fence pulled down and stacked, then sell it on gumtree. Neighbours and I sold our old pailings at $1 each! Post etc free fire wood.

KayTea and samiam like this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I recently approved a quote of $3,536 to supply and install 33m of colourbond fencing, including the removal of the existing fence and bushes.

That equates to $107 per linear metre.

Archaon and samiam like this.
  5. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Im an ex fencer and thats good value in my opinion. Especially the new fencing. How high is the new fence 1.5m or 1.8m ?

The removal of the old fence sounds a little toppy but these days getting rid of fencing at the tip is expensive and it's not easy work. Best to try and get rid of it to the community as firewood etc off your front lawn.

Why does the school not pay their half?
    I used to do quotes for schools (public) all the time and they paid their half always....whats changed?

If it was my place, I would get 3 quotes and present them to the school before I did anything about locking in a contractor.

Archaon, samiam and wylie like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

@samiam - why colorbond? This will dent and look pretty poorly once the soccerballs etc start to hit it.

wylie, VB King and KayTea like this.
  7. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Thought it would be more durable. Also got quote for hard wood- $1200 dearer

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Treated pine is cheaper than hardwood. 3 rails and steel brackets, concreted in the post holes.

wylie and samiam like this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The colorbond sounds OK. Pity you have to pay full price but that's how the cookie crumbles with council.
    I had one done last year by the neighbour, didn't save much and would've preferred regular fencer.
    Cost to remove old fence sounds high. Probably your colorbond guy doesn't want to do it and /or tip fees are very high everywhere these days. Is there anyone who could help you remove it? Otherwise, grin and bear it if still cheapest of three quotes.

10. nuzullandchicky

nuzullandchicky Well-Known Member

I had a CB fence replaced last year on an IP in Kippa-Ring. $4,752.00 for about the same length. I only had to pay half though. But that might give you an idea. This included them removing the existing timber fence too.

11. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Well then the neighbour (the school?) should pay for replacement sheets in the fence in that case.

Why isnt the school paying half?

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do you know how school budgets work?

13. Scott No Mates

We earn money, hand over gladly to Federal, State and Local Government in the form of taxes, rates, services charges etc. Then the treasurer decides how much to throw at the states for education and the states decide how much they want to throw towards education and local government may decide it too wants to throw some money towards OOSH or other worthwhile facilites at the schools.

Principal puts their hand up with their incredibly tight budget covering all things from office staff, teachers, teachers' aides, stationery, maintenance, services costs, teaching materials etc in a vague hope that some if not all of their wish list is funded. P&F then fund raises to get the rest, lobbies council and state member for additional grants.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yep, that's about right. When a neighbour wants a fence, how high up on the P&C's list of priorities do you think it will be? At my school, a student totally dependant on his wheelchair had been with us for four years. He passed away earlier this year just before a grant was provided to build a sealed pathway up the hill to the oval so he could get his electric wheelchair onto the oval in order to participate in any sports and to the emergency evacuation assembly location.

We all know how important the Govt considers anything OH&S related.