Co-ownership/co-purchasing finder

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by countyINheart, 30th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. countyINheart

countyINheart New Member

I am interested to buy 40 acres of land just outside (1.5 hours) of Sydney with intention to build alternative style house and eventually move there. Instead of borrowing money from the bank I would like to make a cash purchase but can not afford the whole lot. Neither I need so much land. All I really want is 2-5 acres but lots in that area are 40 acres+.... beside I love the location and the fact that land is partially on "river/creek" front.
    My question is where to find similar minded people or rather one person/family that would be interested to enter in this kind of arrangement?
    There is a way to obtain permit for dual occupancy on this lot so there is definitely room for two families and we could buy it as "tenants in common" and run it as a company.

Thank you for your input in advance.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Read the various views on Joint Ventures or JV on the forum, you really have to find willing parties yourself.

I do not like any sort of patnership/s, I have done a few, one nearly ruined everything, all of them parted ways as people want to do different things or change minds over time or change circumstance.

Make sure you have legal agreements in place & I would say you have to go in prepared to take the other party over (means you need money).

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Jointly buying land with strangers is very risky. amd probably it would be better to borrow from a bank if you cannot fund it yourself.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Land zoned Rural generally permits a single dwelling or only has limited capacity to support a second/workers cottage.

Subdivision of these lots may not be permitted and the arrangements may be deemed a quasi-subdivision bt the LPI.