Cloverdale WA Retain & Build

Discussion in 'Development' started by LifesGood, 19th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Have a look at the suburb stats first. Days on market, average discount etc.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have found that houses closer to the highway tend to sell for less so the lower end of the range could work. I have not looked at end values at that end of the suburb. You would have to look really hard at recent sales for end values for renovated houses and end values for new builds.

4. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

End values is where you will most likely come unstuck, most of the other costs are known.

I completed a retain and build in Cloverdale in 2015. some round numbers that might interest you.

Total costs 745k which incl the buy, the build and external renovations to outside of existing property as required by council, bank values on completion 980k so 31%+ roi. Rent $830pw.

But today's values 900-920k and rent is $780pw. Renovation potential still for existing property.

Although you should be able to get a bit cheaper build costs and maybe lower entry price but other costs are increasing like power dome etc.

Then you will have gst, tax and selling costs etc if you're wanting to sell.

With enough DD, there could be money to be made.

Perthguy and LifesGood like this.
  5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Keep in mind Lyndon that the front house will likely need a reno to bring it up to par with the new rear dwelling as a brand new dwelling behind an older dated one can effect the end val of the new dwelling.

You would have to chop of the carport as well. Nice sized piece of land at the back to work with though.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2017
  6. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Some good responses here. Just to be clear, I'm not making a purchase. Just a hypothetical scenario. :D

Colin Rice likes this.
  7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Well then thats it then, no more advice for you :p

LifesGood likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Decide on what you are hypothetically building out the back and see if you can find any comparable sales for that product in the locality. In this case it will need to be within a couple of blocks because prices increase closer to the schools and Belmont forum. For example, there are new units for sale on the corner of Arluyna and Wright St for $550k. In my opinion these are not comparable due to location and they also may be overpriced.

9. Perthguy

How does this one compare?

257 Fisher Street Cloverdale WA 6105 - House for Sale #125263994 - realestate.com.au

ellejay and Phase2 like this.
  10. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

huh? you need to make the front house sexy in Perth for a retain n build? you could easily spend 10-20k on external facade

11. Perthguy

Yes you do, it is a state government requirement. Not 10-20k though, that's a bit OTT. It's just a facelift, not a remodel. 5k-8k is more realistic. That said, for mine I just painted with paint I found in the shed.

RetireRich101 likes this.