NSW Close to City - Under 800K Apartment??

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by propchatz, 29th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. propchatz

propchatz New Member

Hi all, so first property purchase. Tend to have analysis paralysis but looking to lock something down in the next 6 months.

Looking for a PPOR apartment (ideally 2bd) that will be used as an IP later in a few years. Want to be close to the city. Given some the recent Opal Tower & Mascot Tower incidents I'm thinking an older/boutique type apartment maybe best.

Considering the following:
    • Others: Newtown, Erskineville, Enmore, ?

I'm thinking Surry Hills over Alexandria at the moment - let me know your thoughts! Advise on what to look out for, etc. is appreciated!

essendonfan likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Good stuff. I think those sold prices have been good for the buyers.
    I just think, convinience factor for transport/walk to work.... Frequency and speed of transport services to where you want to be. And being walking distance to work is great.

3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I would go for a unit that has a verandah which isn't overlooked - you would spend a lot of time there and privacy IMHO would be paramount ... :D

4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Surry Hills has pockets of housing commission and generally undesirable people. I used to shop there and people would collect cigarette butts to smoke, yell abuse with bottles in their hands, and one time I saw homeless people fighting, one fell on the ground and others started kicking him. It has lovely parts too though.

5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

100% this - personally I like lower maintenance older blocks with low strata fees. I don't think you're going to go wrong in any of those areas but I see lots of competition looking for the same thing around Surry Hills. Definitely 2 bed over 1 bedroom, much more versatile once you convert it to an IP as a 1 bed limits your market.