climate warrior brats

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 25th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

That's fantastic, well done to her and I wish only the best for her.

Kind of also cool that she isn't standing on the world stage telling all the adults off too ;).

OK I will do something I don't do often, I will admit I was not researched well enough in that when I posted before so thank you for posting the material that could educate me.

Whilst I concede that, it doesn't change my stance though as a 1 degree rise in temp since 1880 is hardly anything that really concerns me. There are MANY factors that could effect this I mean for example the sun is growing and will eventually swallow the earth whole so there's that :) but also it could be randomness, a change in the earth core, all in all we cannot categorically say that climate change is a) an extinction event, b) our fault or c) something to really be concerned about.

MTR likes this.
  2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

If you're not researched enough on that one area then I would say it's safe to assume you're not researched enough on the whole issue of climate change - you should probably look into it a bit further if you think "the sun getting bigger" or "randomness" are the contributing factors to global warming, maybe have a read of this as a start https://skepticalscience.com/argument.php

97% of the worlds climate scientists agree it's something to be concerned about, unless you know something they don't?

wylie, Propagate, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  3. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2019
    Lindsay_W and Perp like this.
  4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

That's like saying there shouldn't be mandatory taxes and people just pay whatever they want to the ATO. You'd be lucky to get 10% of the current revenue.

wylie, Hetty, Lizzie and 3 others like this.
  5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

How about getting real and using a mature debating point. We need to stop using cars? This is why kids are angry, because adults don't get it.

6. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

But she got your attention didn't she!

And it seems there are plenty of people on this forum who agree with her, including me.

I'm of an age where I worry about my granddaughter's future more than material wealth.

Propagate, Lindsay_W, Lizzie and 3 others like this.
  7. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Australia gets 14.3% of its energy from renewables, and:
    1. 'can't afford' to do better, and
    2. 'won't because our output is irrelevant by comparison to India and China'.
    Both of these points are complete nonsense, as evidenced by these facts:
    • DRC of the Congo, Tajikistan, and Zambia all source 95-100% of their energy from renewables, and their average GDP per capita is below $1,500, whilst ours is $56,000 - but we can only manage 14.3% :rolleyes:
    • India and China, despite being poorer, are both doing significantly better than Australia (and the US), %-wise. India is on 16.9% and China 24.5%.

spludgey, wylie, LibGS and 3 others like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Attention for the wrong reason. Negative value, hence title of thread

Plenty agree on this forum???

How many forum members? Lets put it in perspective

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

same!

16 year olds dont talk like that, mature or not

also, she was condescending, rude, hypocritical, belittling, and didnt make sense

it was as fake as my rolex watch from bali

MTR likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It was very uncomfortable watching her, just so rude, nothing to be proud about...... if I were her parent

TMNT likes this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

she may convince stupid people, impressionable people, young people, naive people, biased people,

but if you are smart, logical and unemotional, you will see right through it

although I do admire her passion (whether she is a puppet or not)

Im not even a climate expert and I could poke holes into almost every line of speech

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I doubt there are too many climate experts here, me included

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

So those criticizing Greta, have you considered that you are not her target audience? Indeed, I don't even think the "world leaders" are her target audience. I think her audience is the disenfranchised and those who do actually think that more should be done. I think her speech was showing that there is no point being respectful to those that show no respect to this issue, and regardless of what scientific studies are suggesting, will continue on the path to maximum profits and minimize responsibility.

Regarding the comments about this being alarmist and extension level events... well, the earth will still be here after we have gone, and life does adapt and grow. But the question is, in what form? And are you happy for humans to be impacting other species to such a severe degree? (not necessarily specific to climate change, humans have been the cause of extinction for many, many species just by destroying their habitat) As a first world country, we are going to be OK regardless, but it is developing nations that will bear the brunt of climate change and environmental damage.

Finally, here is an interesting little diagram:
    Earth Temperature Timeline

Cheers,
    Inertia.

wylie, geoffw and Lizzie like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I dont know lots of studies on this, not sure what your point is??

I probably wont be giving up my car though

Husband an avid bike rider:)

Climate Change and Public Transport

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

In your opinion, which is the minority ... a noisy minority but minority all the same

As for her speech ... didn't feel it was any of the negatives claimed, but her frustration and despair was palpable

Perp and Lindsay_W like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Her target audience should be the people that can make it happen ....Failed miserably

Sadly she’s just a pawn

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  17. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Seems to me that the minority were more offended by how she spoke rather than what issues she was speaking about. Pawn or not, I'll take a pawn for climate change over a pawn for big oil/large corporations etc any day

wylie, Lizzie, Perp and 1 other person like this.
  18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

This is one of the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced and we should be "respectful"? Kinda like saying the allies should have been respectful at Normandy.

Her future is looking like crap due to the actions of other people, people who refuse to look at facts, and you think she should be respectful?

wylie, Lizzie, wategos and 3 others like this.
  19. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

My point is obvious. You just don't want to see. Next.

Lizzie, Perp, shorty and 2 others like this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

the thing with global warming and its effects and future predictions, there is so many unknowns, and ive seen studies that the sea levels have risen a tiny bit to a catastrophic rate as well

youve got one expert/try hard saying we're going to drown in sea water next week, to a little level increase isnt a bad thing,

you can argue both sides by selectively choosing evidence or arguments,

im certainly not going to take any notice of a 16yr old who's every second argument is How dare you? while splurting out a few Gigatonnes of this and that

MTR likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.