climate warrior brats

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 25th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The past two years the "step son" has skipped/striked from high school.....:rolleyes:
    Yet just gone to hang out with his mate's at the local shops !o_O
    It is one thing to voice an opinion, yet another to actually take up the cause and attend a rally ;)
    I mow roadsides for a living, and littering in my area's is done largely by our youth :confused:
    Sure, compared to the Exxon Valdez it doesn't seem all that bad, but every action no mater how small has an effect :(
    We need to find a better way (not as a state, continet, country, or even as a planet, only) as a committed people will we progrees and evolve enough to survive this :)

ellejay and MTR like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It does speak volumes. From your article.

So many people accepted this photo as being real, and shared it.

But the whole issue is a distraction, like many of the distractions which have been raised by many people. There's a huge march for action on climate - and instead of talking climate, people are talking about Greta, rubbish, plastic bottles or whatever they can to avoid the main topic at hand.

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2019
    Perp, Lindsay_W, Propagate and 2 others like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

... and this aint going to help anyone.... mindless

Give it 6 months and they will have everyone off side, its already happening...... watch this space

Climate strikers need to grow up

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2019
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I hear you

7. geoffw

Young people who have a different view from you are apparently brats that need to grow up.

But young people have the right to have their own views and to express them, whether those views are different to yours or not. By 18 years old, they will be voting. Greta is 16. Isn't she allowed to have her own views before she's allowed to vote? Are young people not allowed to have opinions?

marty998, Perp, bashworth and 3 others like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

How dare we critizise a 16 year old, a pawn

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nyp...o-say-except-what-adults-have-taught-her/amp/

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of whether the earth is cooling, warming or staying the same, surely some government somewhere could take some action, stop the manufacture of plastic bottles, go back to glass.

Clean up the crap belching out of stacks before it hits the air, outlaw the stupid practice of wrapping three applies in cling wrap, sitting on a little styrofoam tray.

There are so many really pointless things that could be stopped tomorrow if any government could see past the mighty dollar, past pandering to big companies and simply doing whatever it takes to stay in power. Stop wrapping burgers in cardboard boxes, inside a paper bag with plastic drink bottles that are used for less than five minutes then end up in our oceans.

Stop allowing us many of the stupid things that we CAN live without. Then, regardless of what the earth is doing on its own as part of what it has been doing for millions of years, we are giving back something cleaner for our children.

Is there even ONE government that has the guts to do this?

Of course children hear what their parents teach. Good on those parents. Good on those children. We must simply hope by the time they are old enough to run for some sort of office to stop this stupid waste, they are not blinkered or put in a position where they can be persuaded to look the other way like many others have been.

If nobody makes an effort because they are "only one person" then what hope do we have?

Perp, bashworth, Lindsay_W and 6 others like this.
  10. geoffw

So there are huge problems happening in our world, and many people get together to point out the problems. And instead of looking at the problem, people are just criticising the people pointing out the problem.

Ok, while I think that climate change is a huge problem (it took me quite some time.to come to that viewpoint), as @wylie says, there are many other problems that aren't as controversial, things that we can do something about. Air pollution, rubbish, plastics everywhere - while things are being done, so much more needs to be done.

Perp, Lindsay_W, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Hemp solves the majority of those problems you've listed

Lindsay_W and Kassy like this.
  12. wylie

Yes - another overlooked resource. If it wasn’t called hemp it might be more accepted by the so called smart politicians.

Lizzie, Kassy and Archaon like this.
  13. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

The last thing we now need is the return of student activism that was so prevalent in the 60s and 70s .
    The parents of the day struggled to understand why there were protesting about wars and civil rights.
    But they managed to make changes that we all take for granted these days.

14. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

My 6yo boy in grade 1 was learning and doing persuasive and narrative writing. This was the exact terminology used by his teacher. If you think he won't have an informed opinion at 16, then you are sadly mistaken.

Hetty, wylie, geoffw and 1 other person like this.
  15. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I have more faith in our young than some of the supposed adults on here after reading some of the dribble, nonsense and plain ignorance that gets posted from time to time.

Perp, bashworth, Lindsay_W and 4 others like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Sep, 2019
    bashworth and Lindsay_W like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Perhaps that a reflection of the parenting ... my daughter desperately wanted to go, but reluctantly chose not to as had an exam, a decision I'd like to think is a reflection of the parenting too

Seriously? What makes you think littering is exclusive to "youths"? Most of the litter I find on the side of the road are beer bottles and cigarette packages

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2019
    bashworth and Lindsay_W like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree with this - but the big foundations need to be laid by government ... as an individual I'm not allowed to upgrade the electricity network or install public charging stations or lay roads made of recycled plastic ...

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Small changes

What about walking to school instead of mummy dropping them off in the SUV

What about protesting on a weekend not a school day? Shows some sort of commitment?

Those damn plastic bottles, bin them

Serveman likes this.
  20. wylie

No... don't bin them. Just don't make them in the first place. Ban them. Slowly we have all gotten used to not having endless one use plastic bags at the supermarket. We can use glass bottles, or metal bottles.

All it takes is a government with enough guts to make a decision on this. It isn't hard.

And people who are passionate about something will protest on the weekend for sure. No politicians are inside the buildings on a weekend and it doesn't disrupt people as much, which is part of a protest, to make people think about why their bus is late today, why the street is full of people holding placards.

And you'd be surprised how many people walk to school when they live close enough to do so.

Lindsay_W and Lizzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.