Climate risk

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Beelzebub, 12th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Just curious

When purchasing property does any one take climate risk into consideration when purchasing?

For example, has anyone passed on a particular area due to fears of increased weather events such as more severe cyclones or perhaps fear of potential sea level rises?

According to this map my PPOR should be walking distance to the beach by 2100. Should be good for values I guess :rolleyes:

http://www.ozcoasts.gov.au/climate/...B/1.6/JPEG/150dpi/Melbourne_16_150_Map_31.jpg

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2015
    legallyblonde and Hanison like this.
  2. acorn123

acorn123 Well-Known Member

Most big institutional investors do climate risk assessment.
    Mum & Dad investors don't care about this, I guess.
    Some overseas investors are more cautious than locals.

3. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Coukd you please post link to that mapping data.

Just spent 10mins and can not find mapping like you have just posted.

4. Beelzebub

5. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Was hoping current property which backs onto river would rise another 15-20m

No such luck.

6. Beelzebub

Yeh, a 1m sea level rise isn't that bad. Most of the impacts from the modelling could probably be dealt with through the construction of sea walls and by erosion mitigation strategies. I think the real risk involves drought for rural/regional IPs; and more consistent and intense cyclone events and storm surges.

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

In a way many of us do because we review Council flood maps which are based on future predictions

8. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Council floodmaps are usually based on previous floods I'd wager, or the likely prospect of a future flood; based on topography.

So, same same; nothing to see here in that regard.

If it's in a flood prone area; don't buy; bound to end in tears eventually.

Same with folks who continue to live in bushfire areas.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Alpine property are seriously affected - reduced/unpredictable snowfall, shortened ski season. Less skiable area due to low altitude of Oz mountains.

On the flipside - longer summer tourism opportunities, MTB trails, fishing, altitude training facilities etc will open up.

Sashatheman likes this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

11. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I definitely would not buy something that's very low lying now or even something that's close to the bush. Extreme weather events will continue to increase.

I was even briefly considering investing in Tasmania. If you have a 3C increase in temperature, it'd be quite nice down there and people may start to flock there rather than places like ridiculously hot QLD.
    The only reason I won't follow through on this is that a 3C increase is unlikely to occur in this half of the century and my retirement goal is in 7 years, so not nearly enough for climate change to be a mayor driving force in that time period.

LibGS likes this.
  12. Bayview

Extreme weather events?

I've been alive for half a century and haven't seen anything new under the sun in that regard as yet....floods, earthquakes, cyclones, hurricanes, droughts, cricket ball size hailstones, massive bushfires and lightning storms, mud/earth slides, avalanches, tornadoes and 300km/h winds...all been done a zillion times so far from my little spec of life observation.

Same same; nothing to see here; just GW and CC scaremongering.

Are you taking about a 3C increase on average?

I reckon it'd need to be more than that for sun-lovers to bother.

We used to go camping at Wilson's Prom every Feb - to get some sun and some heat.

Bzzzt! wrong.

It is so far south, that even in the hottest month for Victoria, we would regularly cop crap and cold weather there. Gave up in the end.

Tassie is colder again than that.

I suppose the Poms like it because it reminds them so much of home.

Last edited: 13th Aug, 2015
  13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

No point trying to argue with someone that doesn't adhere to logic and reasoning.

LibGS likes this.
  14. Bayview

Excuse me?

You said extreme weather events.

I said I've seen them all, and they are the same now as they were 30, 40 years ago and more.

How is that not adhering to logic and reasoning?

Ok then; what is your version of extreme weather events, and what is your version with the pattern of occurrence?

Are you saying they are more extreme than they were previously, and/or are you saying they happening more frequently than previously?

If you wanna see an extreme weather event; come and see the bloody freezing winter we are having down here in Melbourne this year; :D

Last edited: 13th Aug, 2015
  15. Beelzebub

Now now people let's not argue about politics. After all we all know that this Global Warming thing is really just a giant conspiracy theory propagated to the masses by the illuminatti in order for them to more easily attain global domination by using a United Nations backed consensus to create a global government run by evil lizard people from out of space. Open your eyes

Seriously though, I guess I should have expected it was only a matter of time when starting a thread such as this. Time to get the popcorn and watch the fun.

qonyx_sydney and joel like this.
  16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Lets just ignore the pro mythers. Ignore is wonderful.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My properties are already on the top of hills. Not that I care one iota about global warming and rising sea levels but because I have lived through several flood events in South East Qld and there is no way I would be so stupid as to buy a property in an obvious water course. EVER.

On the other hand, after twenty years of drought I bought a house on the Central Qld Coast having forgotten all about cyclones. Yes in the 1960s and 70s we got cyclones south of Mackay all the time but in all the hype about bushfires and floods, I had forgotten about cyclones. At that time they were only happening over in the west.

My steel framed house is built to withstand cyclones but apparently there doesn't seem to be a guttering standard to cope with high wind and excessive rain.

All my properties are within ten kilometres of the Pacific Ocean and I used to consider bush fires when we bought our PPOR in the 1980s, long before you had ever heard of climate change.

18. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of subdividing so i have room to start building an ark.

BuyersAgent likes this.
  19. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

We've been talking about this. Looking (casually) for a PPOR in QLD. This year Cyclone Marcia came down the coast. Cat 5 out at sea and they're talking having to increase the category system because cyclones are getting stronger.

Another cyclone next year that comes overhead and I think we'll be moving a little further south...

20. Bayview

Feel free to explain a "more extreme weather event" seeing how Spludgey won't.

Just one example will do....just one.