Climate change

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 15th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not warmers - changers

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Oh that's right. When the 'global warming' theory came under attack, as it was getting colder on some parts of the planet, it was rejigged and became "climate change".

Codie likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Here's one, then I have to go, for now...Antarctic ice growing not melting.
    Cold Facts About Faux Antarctica Meltdown

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Propertunity likes this.
  6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

This has been scientifically rebutted. Try again, maybe with some science next time :D
    Is Antarctica losing or gaining ice?

Joynz likes this.
  7. geoffw

8. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Joynz likes this.
  9. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep getting colder in some parts as the jet streams weaken and the polar vortex bulges further south. The jet streams change due to changes in temperature of the ocean currents. The ocean currents are changing due to warming of the oceans.

BBC Weather: Why is it so cold in the US?

Projected changes in persistent extreme summer weather events: The role of quasi-resonant amplification

Other implications from the change in ocean currents (along with overfishing and sea drilling) is that reliable food sources for species such as Antarctica penguins is now out of reach and colonies are showing signs of starving to death

11. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

I am with the believe that nature is in natural cycle and has always been the case..

Areas that were under water only 4000 years ago are now well and truly high and dry and vice a versa. My wife loves watching the Time Team and they regularly carry out archeology both under water which was previously dry and prehistoric jetties which are high and dry.

Judging your believes on a sample of 6 years is just a personal opinion, no more no less

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree - and most everyone does - that change has always occurred. The only stability in life is change.

The issue is the current rate of change.

In the past nature could keep up and evolve alongside the change in climate, including the mammoths that evolved into modern day elephants ... this time around the change is occurring too quickly and the destruction is exacerbated by human intervention (pesticides, pollutants, over-exploiting natural resources).

I too love Time Team

13. Propertunity

I see I have been debunked already......so I'll raise the white flag .........but deep down I still hold the same views......I'll just keep them to myself :)

I (wrongly) thought that this would be a pleasant change from Labor's negative gearing policy.......which they are said to have taken down from their website. I still appreciate the distraction all the same.

Last time I posted on global warming on Somersoft, almost exactly 10 years ago to the day, it ran away to 27 pages!
    So much for global warming

Sorry to throw in the proverbial hand-grenade and run away, but that's what I'm doing this time. You 'changers' are even more zealous than you were a decade ago. Too much for me o_O

Propagate likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

A lot has happened in 10 years ... think I was on the debunk side then but to much has changed since (including the science)

15. geoffw

I was a sceptic at one time as well. When Gore's Inconvenient Truth came out, I thought that it was alarmist nonsense. But the weight of the evidence just became too much to ignore.

16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Wow, caring about the deaths of hundreds of millions of people, the enormous security implications and the severe damage to global economics makes me a "zealot".

If one doesn't care, like you, does that make you reptilian, morally/ethically myopic?

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Apr, 2019
    Joynz likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Actually - I believe we are overpopulated and overdue for a plague ... that won't do much for my investing :eek: and is another topic ... personally I am immediately more concerned about the biodiversity of the planet that is disappearing than the humans.

The humans will be the last to disappear as we are more adaptive

Stoffo likes this.
  18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  19. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more that we are overpopulation the planet. I don't know about a plague as any plague would need to be absolutely huge to actually make a dent in the approx 8 Billion we now have. The population has actually been self adjusting as we find that we don't need huge families to care for ourselves in old age. The problem is that this has not been taken on in the third world.

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Apr, 2019
    Lizzie likes this.
  20. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

And this is why Elon Musk is a god. By the time we destroy this planet he will have us living on Mars and we can get to work on ruining that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.