Climate change march

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 20th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Because we were worried about pollution and wars. We were educated to believe that if we consumed less oil that we would pollute less, so we diligently bought 4 cylinder cars from Japan and then Korea. That was a radical step! The idea of Nuclear was brandied around, but due to our fear of war, was quickly squashed. End of story.

I know I was interested in reducing oil use and reducing pollution. I know I studied Tectonic Plate Movement and earthquakes along the San Andreas Faultline. I dont recall the terminology of Climate Change though. I thought parts of California were about to fall into the ocean due to plate movement.

I knew that acid rain was killing off the Black Forest due to air pollution and too many trucks. Transportation of goods by diesel trucks would fix that, so good bye fuel from oil and hello diesel, as though diesel was something else altogether.

Now onto electric transport. The current fleet of electric vehicles runs on ELECTRICITY and that electricity comes from - wait for it - coal.

I'm a fairly well educated Boomer. My less educated peers are sceptical about how using electric vehicles is going to reduce pollution and save the planet. They have replaced their old fridges and washing machines with the new ones that have lots of stars on the label. Instead of insulting the older generations and country folk, maybe gently introducing the science behind acidification of the Great Barrier Reef waters might be more relatable and help sway their opposition.

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2019
    Perthguy likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Joynz, Perthguy and Lindsay_W like this.
  3. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'm Gen X rather than boomer and I would say that the level of concern about climate change in the 90s was much more vocal. The concerns of today's Millennials only looks vocal because we've had more than a decade of progress silenced and suppressed.

gman65 and Lizzie like this.
  4. Bunbury

Interesting. I suppose here and now the choice between renewables and nuclear is a bit different though. The push to renewable energy is and will be directed by market forces and technological innovation. Any push to nuclear will have to be at the hands of political intervention and comes with the nuclear risk.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

And we didn't have social media to get the message out and worldwide

I do remember major concern about the ozone (which has now practically repaired itself) and the overnight abolition of CFC's from most products

wylie, Lindsay_W and Bunbury like this.
  6. Bunbury

Yes and there was bi-partisan support for the view that there was a need to do something.

Handyandy and Lizzie like this.
  7. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

The point is that they are protesting but not doing. They are not in anyway reducing their own impact on the climate. They drove there, they consumed takeaway food there, they consumed water from plastic bottles there and they left all their rubbish there. They pretend that they care and then they go on with their polluting lives but wait we have to convince the government to act but they can go back with their wasteful lives.

Remember the motto 'think global act local'

RS Gumby, Marg4000, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I believe renewable is also at the hands of political intervention, the Australian Government loves coal, the innovation has happened for renewable energy, why don't we have more wind farms etc then?
    In regards to nuclear risk, I posted a link a few pages back that showed research from NASA that even after factoring in all nuclear disasters it showed Nuclear Power was still safer than coal.

9. Niche

Niche Well-Known Member

How do you know they are doing nothing? I am genuinely so annoyed at people saying they are doing nothing unless you are going in to all their homes and seeing how they act you cannot say that.

Yes some of them may have driven or had takeaway food but that doesn't mean they all did not to mention, for a lot of people driving may have been the only way to get there. I work near one of the protests and from what I saw a lot more people walked there rather than driving there. As for the water bottles yes they may have been plastic but they could be using that bottle for the 300th time and be recycling it when it is too old to use. As for leaving the rubbish there if you are referring to the photo that was posted of all the rubbish in Hyde park that was a hoax, walking past civic park in Newcastle after the protest there was no rubbish left behind.

LibGS, wategos, spludgey and 3 others like this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So, once again, everything is the fault of the baby boomers?

11. Lindsay_W

I never said that, if that's how you interpreted it then that's on you sorry

12. Bunbury

There has been more than $27 billion invested in renewable across Australia over the past year creating more than 16,000 jobs. This is a very busy space at the moment and the total investment in undergoing exponential growth despite the political roadblocks in the way.

Yes, nuclear would have created less emissions than the coal route we went down but that boat has floated and we have to deal with today's reality.

Clean Energy Projects Australia | Clean Energy Council

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

The quiet acheivers are doing something the vocaI whinger aren't prepared to do anything, wont even give up a few hours on the weekend or turn their lights, aircon or clothes drier off I would say you sufferer from confirmation bias. The boomers where told we are all going to freeze where all in peril from a looming ice age. We were going to run out of energy and fertilizer we where going to run out of oil and phosphate it is why I bought pivot shares @ 50c when I was 15 they went to $180.00 thank you very much doomsayers. 40 years western USA would have no water in 30 years, as the 300 ft deep aquifer was dropping 10 ft a year. Salinity was going to destroy all the land kids didn't go and sit on there arse holding a sign they got of their arse, got grants and donations organized buses and groups for tree planting in national parks and roadsides creating wildlife corridors. They created landcare groups and still are actually doing something, instead of being hippocrites. They joined the CFA and some had to do truck burn over training instead of sitting on a lawn wasting space, nutrients and the oxygen that sustains them. I wonder with all this warming why do the current generation need to use clothes driers or heaters. Leave lights on all day and all night.

Foxy Moron, MTR, RS Gumby and 2 others like this.
  14. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Generalise much? In my personal, anecdotal experience, it's the older generation that seem to be the ones that use the air con & heating full tilt, put 2 pairs of socks on a 3 hour dryer cycle while the suns shining outside and leave every light in the house on all day & all night long....

marty998, LibGS, Lindsay_W and 2 others like this.
  15. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

But that is off course not generalizing. lol

The rediculous thing is that most new high rise developments and even many house developments are now totally dependent on dryers for their clothes as there is no space for clothes lines or worse strata outlaws even having drying racks on balconies.

It's even worse in the USA where many of the properties which have huge yards are not allowed to have clothes lines as clothes lines are seen to indicate a lower class. As a landlord you have to provide these clothes dryers on top of the HVAC's which are run 24/7 for 6 months of the year.

MTR, Lindsay_W and Bunbury like this.
  16. Lindsay_W

They did all that when they were the same age as the current 'whingers' as you call them? Highly doubt it...
    It's not about Boomers Vs Millennials

17. Bunbury

Yeah, the number of houses and townhouses that are built without eaves is ridiculous too.

MTR, Lindsay_W and Handyandy like this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

19. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

No point in trying to bring logic to a debate when climate change deniers work on a basis of self interest and derailing meaningful discussion.
    It's a pretty meaningless silver lining that history will judge them in the same vein as slavers and racial segregationists.

MWI, TSK, wategos and 4 others like this.
  20. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

You can’t wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. – Navajo

TSK, spludgey, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.