Climate change march

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 20th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - I was there at the local protest. No, that's not me in the tux but loved the sign ... mine was the yellow one about transition.

Not so much protesting about climate change (which is a given) but rather to voice my frustration at the lack of political direction and leadership, which is resulting in Australia being left behind as the rest of the world moves forward environmentally,
    technologically and culturally.

Although I did - very loudly - call BS to the local pollie who was trying to spout the benefits of increasing coal production. Hope it's not on TV as hubby works in the industry

20190920_114924.jpg 20190920_114932.jpg

marty998, Angel, Propagate and 5 others like this.
  2. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Melbourne is huge. Chockabloc.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Oooops ... :eek:

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Good on Michael Yardney for attending.

MWI, lixas4 and The Prestige like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

told him, and hubby thought it was hilarious. Knew I wouldn't be able to help myself

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

In my small country town? Must be a doppelganger

Sackie likes this.
  7. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

I'm pessimistic, I doubt humans are able to reign in global warming, and the earth is entering an apocalyptic century, with massive changes in climate and sea level. Most on this forum won't be affected so much, but future generations certainly will and they will hate us for it.

Perp, LibGS, TSK and 2 others like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm an optimist ... rather do something and be wrong: end up with a cleaner world - than nothing and be right: end up with a dead world

Admittedly, a good plague would help

Perp likes this.
  9. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

wouldn't worry to much

the sea level in Sydney harbour has been measured for over 120 years
    in 1914 the sea level was 6 centimetres higher than today
    rising sea level , like climate change is a myth

https://saltbushclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/sea-levels-sydney.pdf

Propertunity, MWI, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  10. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

This is why I am pessimistic, because people still think like this despite all the evidence, referencing dodgy data instead of the real science.

Perp, LibGS, marty998 and 10 others like this.
  11. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

The real science huh.... then start looking at the real data and the real root causes such as exponential global population growth. For every tonne of reduced emissions achieved another person, or ten, is born thereby increasing net consumption....

At best it's a zero sum game... in reality we'll keep going backwards until the sheeple realize what the real underlying root causes are AND address them. Oh how controversial, I know....

Serveman, Handyandy and MTR like this.
  12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think you're 100% right.
    Most people on this forum are rich (by global standards) and old (less than 50 years further life expectancy), for us it won't really matter that much. We'll just crank up the air con a bit more in summer, pay more for water, pay higher insurance premiums and accept that the world is no longer as pretty as it once was.
    But for poor people and young people (and worst of all poor young people), it's going to be a massive impact. I honestly believe that this will be by far the worst tragedy in human history, far worse than WWII, the plague and the Spanish flu combined. :(

TSK and gman65 like this.
  13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow! Even your own link shows a clear upwards trend in sea levels.
    I will never understand how people can be so wilfully ignorant (or maliciously spreading misinformation).

Screenshot_20190920-202529.png

Perp, LibGS, marty998 and 4 others like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

One thing I saw today.

"You know it's time for change when children act like leaders and leaders act like children".

LibGS, marty998, TSK and 4 others like this.
  15. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

I always see this as such a simple argument. It can't be deny that the earth will be warming. More people, more power, more energy use, more energy use, more heat.

The only way to curb the trends is to implement world wide birth limits. 2 per person (needs to be per person not couple as marriages change). The issue is families have 10 kids, and those 10 each having another 10. So over a generation of 60 odd years 4 people can theorically produce 100 people using those numbers.

16. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

On you Lizzie... for every one that got out there today there will be probably 10 more that agree that more should be done, yet maybe had other commitments. Over time that will change, as the situation becomes more serious and blatantly obvious.

The balance is shifting, and what lies ahead in the next 20 years will be one of the most powerful disruptions in the last 100 years at least

marty998 and Lizzie like this.
  17. random

random Well-Known Member

l don't see really what it matters anyone believes when proof can speak for all anyway. We got islands of Australia that've gone 1/2 a meter underwater in the last 10 yrs .
    l think it's just fantastic the kids have picked this up it's just bloody brilliant . And it's so cool seeing someone having the guts to stand up for something in this country just for once to but the kids, that just triples it to me.
    But yaknow and l'm sure not taking away from what they're already doing but wouldn't it be great if they could throw into that our insane animal extinction record and draw some serious attention to that too combined . And they are related soooo.
    We have one of the worst records in the world yet only 26million people in a huge country like this , no excuses for that except pure stupidity and greed.

Joynz, Perp, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  18. random

random Well-Known Member

l think climate change could be slowed a lot if not stopped and eventually repaired and reversed but they'd have to act much quicker than they are. l mean it's taken 100 yrs or whatever to do what we've done to the place and ozone but now that it's finally over taken the planets protection it has to accelerate faster and faster. lt's like a triple whammy the planet's trying to cope with now population pollution land clearing and on and on but with a hole in it's roof now and not only but we've been sucking the blood out of it 100yrs too, oil water gas . So it's gonna be a by the year thing from here not the decades and 1/2 centuries they bs on about, it'll move faster by the year.

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2019
    Lizzie likes this.
  19. Empire

Empire Well-Known Member

I used to believe in climate change and was very enthusiastic about green energy etc.
    After working in the industry and plenty of research I've come to the conclusion it's tax.

Weather and climate changes no matter what humans do on earth. We're a tiny dot in a universe, external factors will primarily dictate the weather.

Handyandy, MWI, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  20. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Climate change is by do gooders to feel like they are worthwhile.

How many mobile phones were there today? Or do they not use power?

The education system is the worst, trying to hijack young minds for their own movement. Pathetic!

Handyandy, MWI, MTR and 1 other person like this.