VIC CLAYTON the best middle ring suburb in melbourne.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by google boy, 15th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Clayton has Monash uni and having very exp neighbours like mt Waverley and glen waverley. Also it is close to chadstone which is prob no.1 shopping centre in Melbourne. It is also in the east which is prob preferred as the destination of many of these Chinese folks.

Preston has lots of Chinese too if u look at high st but not as many as Clayton in terms of numbers. Reservoir if u go along broadway which is the main strip there are basically no Asian groceries or shops ATM well there is one Indonesian grocery store though selling stuff at pretty high prices. Both suburbs also have lots of ex-housing commission similar to ashwood which currently is undergoing gentrification. There are lots of similarities through as reservoir has Latrobe uni and northland and Clayton has Monash and chadstone sc. but lots is also happening in the north so it has prob more potential of growth compared to the east as many of the eastern suburbs are at all time highs

2. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I guess @google boy will like this?

'THIS IS A NEW SITE': Amazon is hiring for an Australian fulfilment centre in Melbourne

3. willfong

willfong Active Member

Oh good may be Amazon can bring down the unemployment rate in Dandenong a little bit.

4. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think Shopping Centres would bear much on pricing...

Ashwood is probably 4-5 years ahead of Rezza/HW/HH in terms of gentrification.

5. melbournian

I think the closer you are the better it is. Places close to Doncaster Westfield can sell nearly 2 mil depending on distance compared to 1.4-1.5 mil further away. Being close to SC councils also rezone properties around shopping streets and shopping centres. just look off Dandenong road right across from the SC. Same as Doncaster Westfield, highpoint, northland etc.

Ashwood is long way ahead from reservoir and preston (meant reservoir and preston is currently undergoing gentrification) otherwise ashwood would not be 1 mil plus for ex-housing comm (and you place too). but some streets are the same

When you gonna show me where is the best pho in town?

6. willister

IMHO the best Pho is Footscray but thats just me.

I dont get the attaction of being closer to the SC's. Weekends would be a hassle to get out of the road.

Ashwood sold off its ex commission houses earlier - many have been renovated to an extent its almost brand new, that and many have been demolished to accommodate sub divisions.

7. melbournian

seems like they are doing a lot of rezoning down in clayton shopping st area. Well - I suppose convenience factors.

upload_2017-7-21_15-29-13.png

upload_2017-7-21_15-31-8.png

I have been driving down there Ashwood on and off power avenue ashwood etc all the time still quite a lot ex-housing com houses there (not sure if it is DHS) or not. I took a few photos and got shouted some obscenities and this was like last year.

8. willister

As I say, under belly is still there. Most of the housing is privately owned either rented out or lived in. Some are really well renovated like my neighbours.

IMHO Im surprised that Officeworks/Harvey Norman is still there. There is crap all business, ripe for an apartment complex.

9. melbournian

I thought they build new stuff next door which wasn't there many years ago - is not bad.

reading this didn't realize that that some of the apartment buildings on that power avenue aad social housing - initially thought it was privately owned. But they really did a good job with those apartments coming in off warrigal rd.

upload_2017-7-21_16-9-58.png

10. google boy

google boy Well-Known Member

clayton is heading for 2 million mark, mark my words. 3 bedroom townhouse are rented 600 per week, 2 bedroom are 500 per week.Good rental demand too. Lot of old houses are demolished. Construction of townhouse. Clayton is changing rapidly.

11. melbournian

@google boy - although i studied in monash clayton, lived there and worked ard threre - glen waverley, mt waverley would need to reach that median first otherwise. glen waverley is still ard 1.3 mil man - balwyn is 2.2 mil median still a long way to go.

Eventhough my friend who sold his commerical property for 9 mil that was a multi residential permit of up to 100 apartments shopping, day care centre etc

12. google boy

for 3 bedroom poor floor plan off the plan townhouse are being sold to 900k and 4 bedroom are sold near to 1 million. If u got good block of land in clayton, u are in gold mine.

13. google boy

i find glen waverly overrated. Glen waverly has top school therefore all chinese are buying. lot of realestate agents predicts clayton will outperfom glen waverly but not sure about mount waverly. mount waverly advantage is , it looks for resedential and greenery and it is almost parallel to clayton.

14. melbournian

Even ashwood towhouse selling 1.1 mil which is like in ex-housing comm area. but it is impossible for clayton to overtake glen waverley. the smart buying in clayton was in 2013/14 not now. haha not sure which greenery you talking about in clayton you gotto to lalor and the north for that mate hahahaha :)

Attached Files:

15. google boy

yep, i agree with u. Smart buying in clayton was 2012-2014, whoever bought the house with land at that time has made lot of money now. their properties has already double up. Even side effect of clayton, clarinda and clayton south are heading over 1 million mark.. i regret , i should have bought 600m2 land in clarinda rather than townhouse in clayton

16. .JDM

.JDM Member

Well, even in Clayton you need to pick the right spot. Upper parts north of the train line close to Uni do well, those towards Clarinda are not as well. So there are still options but no sure if they suit everyone. If you keep looking at the perfect year for buying property it was always last few years from the day you make the statement. This has not changed in many years, so I am also in the unhappy camp as I could and should have bought some more. Time to look again.
    BTW Clayton will never be Glen and Mount Wav is pricier than Glen in many places right now. Too hot to touch.

17. google boy

are u kidding? pls see the sold price history for clarinda in last 2 years. It has sky rocketed and heading for 1 million mark. Smart investor who invested at that time has made lot of money. Clarinda has done very well. There are some good pocket and bad pocket everywhere. I prefer close to train station rather than uni which my townhouse is. At the moment skyrailway line is being built which will immensely help traffic congestion in clayton road. Within 3-4 min, u can reach uni, hospital, shooping market, everything, for great cafe and restaurant oakleigh is nearby.

18. .JDM

.JDM Member

Don't get me wrong, I would like Clayton to be Glen, I have few properties there, first since 1999. So settle down and listen to what elders are telling you. If you have your own agenda then go on and there is no stopping you to keep dreaming, after all dreams do come true.
    Now that we got that out of the way, Clarinda also is close to the recycling centre and depending upon the wind direction it does not smell very nice in parts of Clarinda. Clarinda is no way close to train and Westall is better in many aspects. Notting Hill has shot up just because of Monash.
    So the other thing I consider is what Council it falls under. I always get blocks and that is my way of doing it. So I need to be in a council that your Town Planners are happy to work with as well. So Monash or Kingston is also a factor. So lot of things for each individual. I wish you best of luck in your endeavors.

19. melbournian

Skyrail is not really a good thing if you are close or near to the (train station). in fact, there have indications that it will devalue property.

Sky fall: residents off track with house price fears

"Mr Crawford said the value of houses backing onto the railway line from Carnegie to Hughesdale could be slashed by $200,000, and the impact on homes with a north-facing backyard would be massive, with concrete structures impeding natural light.

Homes that front the elevated rail could face a reduction of about $100,000, he said."

upload_2017-7-22_21-49-23.png

Also as you know in clayton, the new townhouses are the ones asking 800-900Kish not the old ones. (as only certain demographics can afford to buy them and were exempt from the FIRB) . the older townhouses you can even find 600-700kish. my cousin has a house in balwyn - and there was a record sale for 2.1mil in his street, so he and the neighbours thought that everybody will be 2.1 mil. after 6-8 months of listing got maximum offers 1.75 mil. You're a smart guy surely you know every house is diff unless there are multiple sale results- you can rely upon. don't think that just because there are townhouses selling 900k all townhouses will be 900K (it would be naive to think so).

sakuraZen likes this.
  20. google boy

my townhouse is 10 min walk to the train station. Sky rail gonna definately pump up the value of property in clayton not for thouse whose property are in carnish road and haughton road. I bought off the plan 3 bedroom townhouse below 600k in 2014 and house was ready in 2016. Its brand new. i expect atleast 800- 840k with current market value thats what bank did valuation.