Claw backs.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Sonamic, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Agreed Terry. I replied promptly to the request for payment explaining the reasoning for my course of action. Again, no response. In Brokers defence it was a Friday afternoon. But it allows the weekend reprieve to gather information.

Terry_w likes this.
  2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I know I sign something with my broker in regards to claw back but I think it's fair enough as he's good to me and if I refinance he won't get paid. I would personally still pay my broker whether I've signed something or not but can understand if he's being slack and unresponsive.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Some are fair others are not. I refinanced a client - not even a refinance but an internal restructure - and therefore the previous broker will lose the trails from that point onwards. Client tells me he made her sign a document agreeing to pay him a sum of money should she do this within the first 3 years or so - even though there is no clawback suffered by the broker.

Clawback is generally 100% if the loan is discharged within the first 12 months and then it slowly reduces month by month to nil at 18 months (varies between lenders).

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Lesson here :
    1. Read contract before signing;
    2. Retain a copy of agreements you sign.

I know most banks impose early payout fees. Actually many don't "impose them" but defer upfront fees like application fees when the loan is drawn. If a qualifiying event occurs (ie loan refinance / payout) within x years (often three) then the agreement stipulates how much gets reimposed. A bit like a phone contract.

Now you don't see Optus or Telstra dealers chasing a phone owner for the trail when the contract gets rewritten elsewhere. Or they don't spend enough. Leave the country etc.

However the deal with the broker would need a separate commission and even then it may be argued the brokers fee agreement is with their aggregator / lender unless there is a very clear and explicit agreement between broker and client. It may be unconscionable to chase the borrower to impose a recovery of future expected fee income.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...ian-consumer-law/story-fnkjidjt-1227052306098

5. Terry_w

Bank early pay out fees have been banned for years now. There are small fees of around $300 for the discharge of mortgage but no more deferred establishment fees etc (these used to be thousands!!).

6. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

I charge a $700 clawback fee refundable or not charged if I do further lending of similar value within 6 months of the clawback. All in all I think to totally reasonable.

Over the last 5 years I've had 3 clients pay the fee and one client refuse to pay it even though I did a good job for them and was a lot of work (trust loan).

I'm not going to sue anyone for it but by the same token I won't do business with someome who refuses to pay it either. Their loss my gain. The guy was a small business owner too so you'd think he would understand no one can work for free.

If I hadn't done a reasonable job and I knew it I think I'd just not send the invoice which by the way I accompany with copy of the client signed agreement.

Jamie Moore and Terry_w like this.
  7. Terry_w

Marty that sounds very reasonable and fair to me

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

$700 is reasonable to me. Could this be tax deductible?

9. Terry_w

Yes, if the loan was used for investment.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice