Classical music

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Noobieboy, 28th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Going through some of Russian classical artist.
    Swan lake gives me goosebumps. Beautiful notes. So uplifting and dramatic.

The peace transcends so many different emotions, feelings that it is applicable to pretty much any day, relates to almost any situation.

Anyone listening to any classics they can recommend?

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

So many to choose from. Lately I've been streaming, via Spotify, Radio NZ Concert.

RNZ Concert

Noobieboy likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Subscribe to a series at the Opera House - Sydney Symphony have a shin dig quite frequently now that they're allowed back on stage.

Get your tickets at Half-tix if you want last minute.

4. Noobieboy

Thanks both !

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Although I enjoy a lot of classical music, I'm particularly a Beethoven fan.

But classical music, like any music, has a huge range, and people have a huge range of tastes.

I used to get the ABC classic radio music guide, and pick out any music I wanted to try. There was a huge range to choose from. I found by trial and error what sort of music I liked.

Now you can pick whatever sort of music you want to hear instantly, on whatever platform you want - Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music amongst them.

I'd suggest that you listen on some sound equipment, not just a TV or the inbuilt sound on your device. You can get good soundbars or Bluetooth headphones at a reasonable price, which will enormously improve your listening experience. If you share a house with other people of different tastes, headphones may be the only choice.

I'm a choir singer, so I lean more towards choral music, but I have many instrumental favourites too. I'm still a bit cautious though getting back into singing post Covid.

Noobieboy, Sackie and SatayKing like this.
  6. SatayKing

Good point. I have Sonos Play 5's paired to stereo.

And on the different taste aspects, as Spotify allows for up to five people linked to the one account, it'd be interesting dynamics if someone is listening to Wagner's Ring cycle and another changes it to Guns N' Roses.

geoffw likes this.
  7. geoffw

BTW, it can be good to read up a little on composers and music, not only as a clue as to understanding some of their music, but as a clue as to which other composers you may like. Tchaikovsky was influenced mostly by the European romantic style (with strong Russian influences) while other Russian composers of the time tried to find a uniquely Russian voice. So, the elements you like in Swan Lake might be more similar to other European composers (though he didn't like Brahms or Wagner, and loved Mozart), and not so similar to the likes of Mussorgsky or Borodin.

Explore as widely as you can, and have fun.

As regards equipment. I'm an older guy, and my hearing is nothing like it used to be. There are higher sounds I can no longer hear. So expensive sound equipment is wasted on me for the high and low notes (though good clear sound is still important).

8. radson

radson Well-Known Member

9. SatayKing

This doesn't help either. Won't be doing it again especially not in a confined space!

10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

This guy is a legend

11. radson

radson Well-Known Member

12. SatayKing

@Noobieboy some trivia for you. The size of orchestras can vary depending on the piece. For example, Mozart may be around 60 members but for Mahler it is well over 100 plus vocals.

Also, there are groups getting "back to basics." Again with Mozart, the orchestra size when he composed was probably about 20 and they were held in private residences not in the auditoriums we have today and the instruments were not as refined.

13. Noobieboy

I’m trying to. But it seems they all had such a complex life. Each one can provide enough material to run 20 seasons on Netflix

14. Noobieboy

Didn’t know that. One day I’ll visit the London orchestra and Russian National. Will compare them :D

In all seriousness, that makes good logical sense. Each peace requires different set of instruments as well as different amount of each. So would agree with the statement.

15. radson

radson Well-Known Member

16. geoffw

You don't need to really read up a lot on their lives, although it can be interesting to do so. Just read up a little bit, just enough to know where they fit into the musical world. When you start to know what sort of composers you like, and when you know their music a little, delve a little more.

Knowing their music helps to understand their lives, and vice versa.

17. SatayKing

I know it isn't Easter yet but it's coming, so enjoy!

geoffw likes this.