City of Stirling - Cost for trafficable street drain

Discussion in 'Development' started by LifesGood, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am in the process of subdividing and recently, after the purchase of the property, the City of Stirling installed this street drain.

Now to the left of this is a street tree, and in between is where I had proposed to have my driveway for the existing dwelling. I require 1.5m setback from this drain and 1m from the tree for the new crossover, which leaves me with no space in between!

I inquired as to whether this drain can be amended to become a trafficable drain. The answer from the city was YES....but wait for it....at a cost of approx. $6,900!!!

This is ludicrous. My only other option is to have the street tree removed in order to achieve suitable crossover clearances from this street drain....

What do you think? Do I have a case to have the street tree removed? (and replaced slightly further along the verge of course)

Attached Files:

2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Man thats unlucky, and a bit rude of them.

I don't like your chances with the tree and would cost you more than having the drain converted I rekon :(

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If the street tree is a not so mature tree they may let you but if it's a well established one I don't like your chances.
    That is really rough luck - was there no drain there before?

4. LifesGood

There was no drain whatsoever! They did some road widening (on the other side), put in some islands with street trees and also added this amazing drain.

The tree is very mature unfortunately. At the end of the day it is what it is. But 7k....that could have been a nice new carport for the front of the existing house!

5. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Your crossover wing - which in Stirling is 1.5m x 1.5m - can be on the edge which makes your driveway 1.5m off the drain.

Does that help?

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

First what is a "crossover" seen it plenty of times, and id say chances are ill know what is it is just not familiar with the term
    Do they require 1.5m from edge of drain?

can you apply to have it start at the joint (sand covering) and get around the 1.5m somehow??
    Can you just get a contractor to do the work instead? save a few $k

7. LifesGood

Hey Aaron how would you interpret this? "Alternatively if you did not wish to proceed with the conversion, the distance away from the existing combination pit to your proposed crossover will need to be 1.5m."

That's the response I got from Stirling.

I should have my survey back next week...then you can work your magic @Aaron Sice :)

8. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

@bob shovel

Crossover- is the section of the driveway in front of the property front boundary (including any kerb and channel and footpath) that you use to get your vehicle from the road to the driveway within your property.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Thanks @HD_ACE ! I figured it was something along those lines just not sure what it exactly included/excluded. I'll add it to the glossary bank

10. Aaron Sice

Okay - must be getting more and more difficult.

I had a proposal approved in Balga that had the wing on the pit and that set the drive back. Will post when I'm in the office next week.

11. Aaron Sice

as promised.

Attached Files:

12. LifesGood

Interesting. If I can do that on mine....we may just be ok!

Aaron Sice likes this.