CIP due diligence checklist

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by yunginvestor, 18th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. yunginvestor

yunginvestor Member

Hi guys,

Looking to purchase my first CIP later this year.

Budget is approx $500-650k, looking for net yield of hopefully around 6.5-8% so regional is probably my best shot.

I have been looking at a number of different listings but don't necessarily know what I should and shouldn't be looking for.

I was hoping some more experienced investors had a commercial property due diligence checklist they run through when assessing the attractiveness of a property. At this point in time, I'm just scoping out the net yield, the length of the lease in place, and the general area of the property. I would really appreciate any advice with what to look for and potential red flags etc.

Cheers.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Due diligence, scope depends upon the property.
    • Strata minutes
    • Development Approvals and consents (tenant consents, usage)
    • Zoning compliance
    • Leases
    • Security (bond/personal guarantees, first born etc)
    • Weighted Average Lease Expiry ie risk profile
    • Rental market analysis (commerciality of rent & incentives which are in the lease)
    • Vacancy rate
    • Building services (plant and equipment reports eg. Lifts, fire services, hydraulics, electrical supply, air conditioning, telephony/fibre connectivity, cranes/hoists)
    • BCA compliance/building reports/structural survey
    • Degree of obsolescence eg small floor plates, low roof height for storage, column spacing, roller shutter/shopfront
    • Competing premises both constructed, under construction or approved/planned
    • Independent valuation
    Some of the above requires legwork or consultants.

Before some information is provided you may need a confidentiality agreement however the IB will generally provide a brief summary of the financials. You will need to request the leases to substantiate the details.

I'd engage with a broker like @Corey Batt sooner rather than later to confirm availability of finance.