Travel & Holidays Christmas in Perth. What to do?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sonamic, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Hi all. We're heading over to Perth for Xmas/New Year. Have 3 days in the middle to occupy. Having never been west side before, could some folks offer some memorable things to do for a family close to Perth proper.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

So much to do around Perth. I assume you have accom sorted in Perth so you're after day trips?
    Day trip up to the pinnacles is cool, plus checking out the coast line along the way.
    Around Perth do fremantle, very cool funky area, fish and chips on the water
    There's scitech if the kids are younger, do that and a look around the city
    Do a day trip down to mandurah and go on a boat to look at the dolphins or you can hire your own boat and do a loop yourself around the inlet area. We did that and spotted dolphins in no time

Day trip up the hills. Big day but nice drive and towns
    Perth up to toodyay to York them to mundaring
    Start at taylors at gallery and cafe for breakie (we went there a few time thanks @Westminster )
    Start driving up the hill stop at wild goose cafe for morning tea.
    Toodyay go to the bakery and the biggest Christmas shop in the southern hemisphere
    On to York great historic buildings. Best town hall in oz! It's WA's first inland settlement.
    Drive down to mundaring check out town.awesome kids park then drive passed the weir back down to Perth

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2016
    Perthguy likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Scarborough beach - feed, drinks, swim
    Sorrento Beach
    Hillarys-feed and swim in gentle water
    Yanchep Lagoon -was starfish everywhere in water when I went
    Scones at Tranby House
    Feed at Swan Valley - Black Swan nice
    Cruise from city to Freemantle
    And/or Rottnest
    Cruise to Seal & Penguin Islands
    List of some of my faves

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

There is a new coast road between Perth and the Pinnacles.
    Looking forward to checking it out one day.
    It is probably a bit hot at Christmas time, but staying overnight in the Benedictine monastry at New Norcia was a highlight for us.
    Marg

Sonamic and Perthguy like this.
  5. Sonamic

Thanks all very much for the replies, just home from work so will break out "the google" :rolleyes: and have a look.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Visit the former historic prison in Freemantle.
    The prison tours are amazing. Some of the cells are over 100 years old. Brilliant highlight of WA.

2. Take the ferry to Rotnest Island and cycle around on a hire bike. A decent day trip.

3. Day trip to the pinacles and sand surfing.

Perthguy and Sonamic like this.
  7. Sonamic

Thanks Bob.

Doing 3 days in Perth. Then 3 days down in Mandurah (trip is to meet and spend Xmas with the BIL and his family, never met before, my 5yo is beside herself to meet new cousins! :eek:). So it's the last 3 days and somewhere nice for NYE we need to fill in the blanks for.

8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised at how often/quickly the pinnacles gets mentioned in things to do in Wa. They are about 2-3hrs north of Perth. So it's a 4-6hr return journey. Once you are there it's pretty pathetic really. Just a couple of limestone monoliths standing on average about 4ft high. And not nearly as many of them as you imagine.

For that same day you could do any number of about 1,000 things which would be far better value imo.
    Even the drive isnt that nice. Though the new coastal road is an Improvement.

Blacky.

DaveyB, Perthguy and Zeehan like this.
  9. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Caversham Wildlife Park perfect for a five year old. Close by is the Margaret River Chocolate Factory, lots of great spots to picnic within Whiteman Park, free to enter but a fee for the wildlife park which is within. My suburb, Guildford, with lots of historic attractions, colonial gaol, Alfred's Kitchen, Museum of Natural History, lots of stuffed critters, Bassendean Railway Museum close by, detour back from Mandurah and consider the Hotham Valley steam train which is shunted at Dwellingup, no steam in the summer, but a simply great day out. The hills are A great day out, horse riding in Helena Valley for an hour or two en route to the Swan Valley, achievable for even a half day. Perth Zoo, take the ferry from Perth city and back gain.

Propin and Sonamic like this.
  10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Such a WA thing to say! ! Or you haven't been at all

We went out twice while we were there. It is a big day so may not suit sonamic but still cool place to go imo and i was very happy with the quantity of pinnacles! :) If they were over east they would all be fenced off!

Joynz, Ambit and ellejay like this.
  11. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Each to their own. Been there a few times and was always blown away. Depends what you like and maybe too much research beforehand doesn't help. I've driven for hours to many places in Aus and thought "is this it?" Maybe if I was doing the pinnacles as a return trip from Perth would be peeved, but it's magical as part of the whole west coast experience.

12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Add C Restaurant - dinner - don't need to get up to go to the toilet, wait until it comes to you!

13. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

As was said - each to their own. Ive been there numerous times - we have a house at lancelin and I used to live in Geraldton. Would regularly do the 'tourist run' with people from over east and overseas. If you are passing bye, by all means drop in for a look. But there are better ways to spend a day than a dedicated day trip from perth IMO.

Like I say, ok to see - but there are 1,000 other things on my "to see" list in Perth before the pinnacles.

Not sure if that is a WA thing or just a "Blackyism".

Blacky

14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If you're going to be in Mandurah and you only have 3 days, I'd head south and see Busselton and Margeret river. I love it down there, it's an easy way to spend a few days and only 1.5 hr drive from Mandurah.

15. Sonamic

Thanks Jess. Yeah Mrs Sonamic wants to get to Margaret River. Being a surfer from way back I wouldn't mind a peep myself.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would go to Margaret River for 3 days enjoy the pristine beaches, wineries and magnificent scenery

Sonamic likes this.
  17. Sonamic

Yes.

Might also make use of BIL's car and do a day of exploring to familiarise myself with Perth as a future investment point. ;)

Perthguy and MTR like this.