China + War

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Bran, 13th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Can someone enlighten me as to the economic effects of war?

At first thought, and perhaps erroneous, is that any such even involving China would be positive for the Chinese economy (jobs and growth)?

2. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Has worked well for the Americans for the last 60 years and the British before that

Phantom likes this.
  3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Not going to happen...despite media sensationalism..

Biz likes this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it will. Who's going to take on that task? China will somehow bully it's way.

5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Bran, the economical effects might not be as bad as the physical effects. Depending on your point of view...

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Trump.

Barny and Casteller like this.
  7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Kogan's share price would plummet. oh wait...

willair likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am worried about how it will effect Australia and our relationship with China, call me stupid, but we need China

9. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Do we need them badly enough to drop our inistance that the rule of law be followed?

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah it's not great.
    'murica agitating for constant war.

11. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

You are following the Chinese posturing right? The nationalism that Xi has pumped up in China in recent years has to be seen to be believed. I've experienced it in China and its pretty disquieting.

The question is what kind of China we need. I'm pretty bloody uncomfortable with a CCP lead China as hegemon.

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Jul, 2016
    radson and truong like this.
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It will all just stay the same,no different too what the British
    did too the Chinese in august 1842,with the treaty of nanking when they opened up the ports ,and paid an indemnity of $21,000,000 and HongKong was ceded to the British..

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Following is probably not the right word.
    How come it's fine for the US to do what they want, and no one bats an eye?

sanj likes this.
  14. The Falcon

Well the US has presided over rules based trade in Asia since 1945, providing freedom of movement which has supported economic development throughout the Asia pacific that all regional economies have benefitted from. Choose your poison. Realpolitik. For all its faults I'll be backing the United States to long outlast this CCP kleptocracy that currently governs China ;)

radson and truong like this.
  15. truong

truong Well-Known Member

You’re absolutely right. Do you speak/read Chinese? Because if you do you’d be absolutely sickened by the massive amount of extreme comments online that are whipped up by the government’s own discourse… things they’d never say to foreigners but only among themselves. Truly frightening.

The posturing by the US and their allies eg Philippines, Australia looks extremely moderate in comparison.

Don’t know if there will be war but this will end badly. Remember when the Nazis started to claim their “living space” and wanted revenge for their WW1 humiliation? Well, this isn’t far from that. Many Chinese now believe they’re the supreme race that’s only taking back what’s owed to them for a thousand years.

I stay in China every year where I have lots of friends/relatives and I’m witnessing this change first hand.

Ouga and radson like this.
  16. The Falcon

Yes, Lebensraum. The thought has crossed my mind a lot recently. A harbinger of doom.

I was in a restaurant in Guangzhou last year, they had CCTV playing (as is often the case) the presenters were hyperventilating showing CGI of how PLAN "carrier killers" would take out a US fleet. The viewers thought this was all just wonderful. The jingoism on display was chilling.

The undercurrent of this nationalism is really race based. Underlying all of this is the belief that the Han are a great race (the greatest in fact) who has been humbled in the last couple of hundred years who are just itching to claim their destiny. Its all quite familiar really. Lets not assume that as we in the west have evolved past these race based identities (to an extent) that the rest of the world has. After all, 50 years ago the CCP was terrorising the country killing millions of its own people. Now they are rational actors ? give me a break.

truong likes this.
  17. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I hope this get resolved in a decent manner, we really don't need more instability and conflict, and with Australia in the region, the last thing we need is being caught into another mess with a superpower.

18. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I still can't believe the AFR has a paid propaganda section direct from the CCP

truong and The Falcon like this.
  19. truong

truong Well-Known Member

It’s now getting to the point where common sense people are being ridiculed by their peers. I was at a family reunion where a young guy said something like “yeah but we’ve got our faults too”. Before he could finish everybody else was hurling insults at him for being a bad Chinese person who didn’t love the motherland.

Say anything untoward about a soldier, police or even a public servant and you’re in trouble. Suggest that China should spend less on weapons and more on food safety and you’re a traitor.

I once ventured that our ancestors come from Africa as everyone else. Some of my relatives made sure I regret my words.

The Falcon and Ouga like this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I won't really be backing anyone, but it would be amusing to see the US overstretched if they decide to test too many countries at the same time.
    Don't forget, they were once sent packing by poor little Vietnam.