Children’s TV character Fireman Sam axed as a mascot for lacking inclusivity

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 12th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

The doctor or your wife?

Sackie likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

both. I am still waiting for the results of my pap smear too

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You will be waiting a while until the doctor remembers she can charge you $80 to come in to be told you don't have cervical cancer.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Postman Pat - Good thing Pat is a girl's name then. I wonder what they will do with Thomas and Friends? - Edwina, Jamie?

Attached Files:

5. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

This is an absolute load rubbish

I have had a lot to do with apprentice training , there is no secrete mens club trying to keep women out

I have taught at apprentices at TAFE
    I have taught female apprentices
    I have set training standards to reflect relevant industry practices

I can tell you there is NO barriers to females starting apprenticeships in fact they are encouraged to do so

The fact is , girls simply choose not to do these job , there is nothing glamorous about spending 8 hours working in confined spaces under houses or in roofs . Building sites are cold wet dark and dank places to work

the work is underpaid thankless seen as menial and physical side of it destroys your body

all these feminists want a large representation of females on site
    unfortunate they want the girls to do jobs, that they themselves would dare not do .
    Why don’t girls want to spend days on scaffold in the hot sun laying ruff bricks with bare hands and ruining their backs ?????

not all young men are cut-out for it as well….in my industry There is a 45% drop-out rate for first year apprentices

your daughter will do better when she understand s that the building industry is based on performance rather than gender .

Vultures, Anthony416, TMNT and 2 others like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We could change the name to encourage more men to apply. ?

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter has done a thesis on the subject, and performed three months paid research full time. She knows what she is talking about. Often, men think that there are no problems. I'm sure that there are many cases where there are no problems. Many women know that there are places where there are big problems.

And she has been the target of frequent misogynistic attitudes and comments at work. She's had to be tough to survive - some haven't.

No work place anywhere is free from problems of some sort. I've experienced frequent and systematic bullying in one place - because I was much older than the rest of the workers.

If people recognise that there is the possibility that things aren't perfect in their workplace then they are much better equipped to deal with those problems. Denying the existence of problems leaves them to get worse.

TSK, Perp, thatbum and 4 others like this.
  8. geoffw

And possibly take some of the same measures that have been taken to encourage women to become firefighters.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that men as midwives were subject to discrimination themselves.

Perp likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying. I just think nowadays everyone seems to feel discriminated against. Maybe we're just becoming an overly sensitive nation.

TMNT, CowPat, Archaon and 1 other person like this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s good that we are getting a bit more sensitive as a nation - especially if it means treating people with a bit more respect and empathy.

Perp, wylie and geoffw like this.
  11. geoffw

I don't see it as being overly sensitive - I see it as trying to give everybody a fair go. By ensuring that more people have a chance to apply for more jobs, as long as admittance standards are fair, the standards in the long run will improve. That might just mean that that fire gets put out before it reaches our house, or that our grandchild gets that little better opportunity to survive a difficult birth.

I think that our overall standards have already improved in many other fields, such as medicine, law and politics - there's still room to go though.

Perp likes this.
  12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

The Gillette ad is great!
    And "boys will be boys" has been used to excuse some very disgusting (and rapey) behaviour in the past (more so in the US than here though), so I'm certainly not shedding a tear for that.

I think of myself as a bit of a feminist (no, I'm not a man hating lesbian, I'm a 6'6" bloke). There shouldn't be a pay gap for equal work, women shouldn't have to be worried about being sexually assaulted like one in five is (boys will be boys, silly rascals, am I right?), they shouldn't be expected to do 90% of the child raising.

I don't have any daughters, but if I ever have one, I'll be worried about her wellbeing, not because of other females, but because of other males.

Not sure if many of you have actually watched the show. As I have a 2 year old, I have, it's pretty bad. I hadn't noticed the gender stereotypes, but now that I read about it, it does ring true.
    Hope they get rid of Peppa as well, on the basis of her just being a really crap person (well, pig).
    Bluey is pretty good, but even that's a little sexist in the intro. The dad and the kids are introduced, but the mum isn't.

Interestingly, my parents tried to bring my sister and me up non gender specific, but both of us gravitated very strongly to the traditional gender interests. She wanted dolls, I wanted cars, knives, etc.
    I want to do the same with my son. While I don't expect that he'll want to wear a pink tutu (he's very much into cars and dinosaurs), if he wants to, I'll certainly let him!

Perp, Islay and geoffw like this.
  13. Archaon

Rape should never be excused, in the context of the ad you seem to love, it was poo pooing boys rough-housing as toxic.

There is no pay gap, there is an earnings gap, women are paid the same for equal work, the gap is due to working more hours on average in more dangerous work environs that pay more as compensation.
    No women should be sexually assaulted, it's disgusting, in fact, no one should lay their hands on anyone when it's unwanted, itit'asn infringement on every individuals autonomy.
    Where is it that women are expected to do 90% of the child bearing, parental leave is unisex in Australia, but you sure don't see positive male role-models on the screen raising kids do you, they are just shown to be blundering oafs largely incompetent and unable to do anything for themselves.

So it feeds back into my point about there being a reduction of positive male role models, while we are seeing an increase in masculine female role models, the saviours, breadwinners, showing they dont need a man/partner, are able to sleep around and not settledown (a masculine trait that is frowned upon when men do it).

I worry about my younger sisters as well, more and more I see a failing of parenting that doesn't discipline children and teach them how to be functioning members of society, this movement of letting Kids live their own life and self determine from extremely young ages, wanting to be friends more than a parent to them etc. A lack of discipline and respect is certainly lacking.

I've seen how bland cartoons have become yes, nothing can be edgy or funny or anything these days due to offending the sensitive.

I'm of the same opinion, I just fail to agree that because a boy might like to dress up like a girl, that that means he is a girl in a boys body, he might be gay for that matter, doesn't that defeat the purpose of there not being male and female clothes? Hypocrisy.

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Sep, 2019
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There are plenty of adverts showing strong men raising strong children (boys and girls). Just as many adverts as showing women to be "just shoppers" or men being "clueless".

I believe women and women should be able to apply for whatever job or role they want to.

But to say there is no gender pay gap is wrong. I know an architect (hardly heavy lifting or dirty work), and a young woman I know does more work, is expected to work longer than the men doing less work, and earns $20k+ less than men who do much less hours. They have been elevated, she is hoping to be, so she puts up with it as a means to an end.

Someone else I know earns $20k more than a woman doing the exact same job (engineering). Some of this is due to private enterprise leaving it up to the worker to ask for what they believe they should be paid. Many woman don't push their barrow in this regard and partly that is due to old fashioned stereotypes, being perceived to be "pushy". But it still happens in these "so called" enlightened and equal pay times.

The fact that woman don't ask for raises, don't push themselves forward is well known.

Me... I don't wish to be a firefighter, but if I did, I'd want to know I would be respected if I passed the physical demands and be treated as an equal. And I don't mind if a male nurse is looking after me.

Last edited: 15th Sep, 2019
    Perp and Joynz like this.
  15. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Wallace and Gromit will become Wallace and Gromitee and all cheese-makers will be thoroughly scrutinised. Basically all classic kids books and TV programs will have to be re-written if this madness continues.

Archaon, TMNT, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  16. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

The Gillet add is not great

its was approved by the female CEO of the gillett arm of the proctor and gamble products
    after there was a HUGHE male backlash against the gillett brand they double-downed with a another " toxic male ..... get woke" add

proctor and gamble said they backed the CEO and supported the add campaign , but have since done a 180 after there was a 12 BILLION write down on their male gillett products

men have voted with their wallets

*just to be clear there is no such thing as toxic masculinity ! it is a constraint made up by feminist's

if you don't want to alienated your customers don't preach to them how bad they are
    and stop demonizing men .
    young men, who are struggling trying to find their place in the world are paying the price

its a big problem check out the stats on suicide ....

the Venus femail razors had the add slogan "go out and sieze the day

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think the ad was designed to appeal to more modern men. The men who see the need for change.

Who cares if some right wingers get their underpants in a twist about
    the Gillette ad. They are becoming less and less relevant and the world is going to change around them...

Perp and spludgey like this.
  18. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

That's just BS. If you don't believe in facts, I see no point in addressing your other opinions.

Haha, I love how you managed to display an example of toxic masculinity while arguing that it doesn't exist! :D

You honestly think that suicide rates in males are so high because we're not forcing them to be masculine enough? :confused:

Joynz, wylie and Perp like this.
  19. Archaon

"It is an average on both male and female total wages and not an average of a male and female with exactly the same job and hours worked."

Read your own citations perhaps?

CowPat likes this.
  20. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

As others have pointed out, it was because of the descriptor 'firefighter' rather than 'fireman'; not because he was male.
    They created two alternative characters, one male and one female.

Fireman Sam has not been 'banned'; they're simply not using that character in promoting employment as a firefighter. Fireman Sam is still on the air.
    The Gillette ad encourages positive male role models, not their removal.

'Boys will be boys' is negative, which is why feminists are opposed to that saying. You know that, right? Feminists are opposed to 'toxic masculinity' because it harms men as well as women.

Further, some seem to think that in 'toxic masculinity', 'toxic' is a descriptor of all masculinity, which it's not - it's a limiter. If I say 'yellow cars', I'm talking about those cars that are yellow, not asserting that cars are yellow.

Those opposed to 'toxic masculinity' are opposed to traditional conceptions of masculinity that aren't healthy (for men or women) - eg the belief that men shouldn't be sensitive, that men are inherently aggressive, that men always want sex and aren't interested in anything else, and many more.

These beliefs both encourage behaviours that can harm others, and harm those men who feel that they don't conform to the harmful stereotypes of what a man 'should' be like.
    It's not just about encouragement to 'start', it's about how they're treated once they're in.

I've worked in several traditionally male-dominated industries over the last 3 decades - in scientific research, then in the military - and I can assure you that predominantly women, but also men, are very much harmed by gender stereotypes.

You say that 'females' - please call them women - are encouraged to start apprenticeships, yet you seem to demonstrate an extremely prickly attitude and set of beliefs. I doubt you make women feel welcome.
    This is an example of toxic masculinity that feminists are fighting - the idea that men are domestically incompetent.
    Why are these 'masculine' traits that women should not be free to engage in (with as much or little judgement as men)?
    "Might be gay?" Gender identity and sexuality are separate dimensions of an individual's identity. At least 60% of trans women are attracted to women.

Further, transgender people are not just 'boys who might like to dress up like a girl'; that's an offensively simplistic take. If you haven't had a thorough genetic test, you don't know for sure that the gender you identify as is what you are, either. Many people who are intersex only discover they're the 'other' gender when they experience difficulty conceiving a child. Discovering that genetically you're 'the opposite sex' doesn't change your gender; these people 'know' that they're a woman or man irrespective of genetics; it's just a medical diagnosis.

Intersex is a different issue to transgender, but the point is that the experience of intersex people demonstrates that gender is much more complex than either DNA or genitalia. Everybody has an innate sense of what gender they are, and DNA/genitalia don't alter that.

While for most people, we are unambiguously one gender, and we identify with that gender, for transgender people they were born 'knowing' they were a gender opposite to the appearance that their body gave them. That's terribly distressing - as evidenced by the absurdly high suicide rates amongst trans people - and worthy of compassion, not scorn and ignorance.

I don't know what you mean about the 'purpose' of male and female clothes.

geoffw, spludgey and wylie like this.