Cheapest way to get this granny flat kitchenette ready for rent?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Garde, 8th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Garde

Garde Member

I've got this granny flat with only a kitchenette in NSW (picture attached). I need to add a stove, oven and rangehood somehow. Originally I was planning to just buy a freestanding electric one and install it in the free space directly to the right of the sink (about $4k all up), but it's occurred to me that this may not be legal - and dangerous having electrical located right there?

Got a quote to demolish the whole kitchen and replace with an IKEA one that can have an integrated cooktop + oven and rangehood roughly between where the drawers and the corner cabinet is now. Upside is it will increase the value. Downside is I'm expecting this will cost $10-$12k all up.

I'm now exploring an idea of whether I can just add a cooktop to the same location (between drawers and corner cabinet), get a cabinet maker to replace the microwave piece with some normal wall cabinets and install a pull-out rangehood integrated into those cabinets. The only problem is the lack of an oven. Is it required to have an oven for rentals in NSW? Specifically Hills District of Sydney.

Which option would you take here?

Attached Files:

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Without knowing the size of the room I would investigate running the kitchen along the wall (top and bottom cabinets) and remove the short leg with the drawers. Running cabinets around corners in kitchens is both wasteful of usable space and expensive. Leave room for the fridge at the end of the run. If enough room install an narrow island (possibly on castors) for extra bench space.

In the corner put a tall cabinet with oven and microwave, then a run of bench with a smaller sink and cook top.

3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

get a fridge cabinet installed, spaced 600 off the existing bench, then tile all the way from the exisitng tiles around onto the fridge cabinet, you need to have fireproof surfaces all around the cooktop and 600mm up the wall and sides i'm fairly sure.

You can get a freestanding oven for about $800, then a rangehood for about $400, then get an electrician to install ($300?)

What's the measurement from the cabinet to the corner of the wall?

4. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

5. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Some ovens these days you can plug directly into a power point and hence you wouldn’t need an electrician at all. If you could find a freestanding one you would just need to sort out a backsplash

6. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Yeah the kitchen looks like it could do with an upgrade. The organization is impossible for your needs so the sensible solution is to rip it out and put in an updated version.

If you are dedicated to this kitchenette then my one solution is to install a wall oven with storage and fridge space next to it. Then you have hot plates that are a removable double burner that you bring out when you want to cook.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice