Changing the agent to manage my IP

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by OzziMelbourne, 11th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. OzziMelbourne

OzziMelbourne Well-Known Member

During the last 2 months I had multiple interactions with the agent. I was pushed to only use their preferred trades to fix things and I refused to do so because their trades didn’t fix anything in the past but I paid from rent. I wanted to change a heating system, provided calculations that it’s no worse compared to the existing old system but the agent pushed me to repair the old one.
    Many other examples.
    It appeared to me that the agent didn’t want to listen to my needs and arguments.

After my last email to the agent they came back to me saying that in several days they would be happy to provide a file to a different agency that would be willing to manage my property,

I’m just wondering if anybody had something similar in the past. This is the first time in my life, while having multiple IPs :).
    Specifically,

Any difficulties in finding a new agent, considering that this new agent would come to the old one, grab a file, they would talk and the old agent can tell anything about me

is it possible to say something like “thanks, I’ll grab a file to manage for now” and then go to a new agent

one more option is a temporary direct agreement with a tenant

anything else?

thanks

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Changing Agents is easy. Just find one you would like to use, get them to pick up the file, and move on.

OzziMelbourne and kierank like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Property Managers are two bob a dozen.

So it is easy to change, as @skater posted.

Finding a really good one is slightly more difficult - if I have to, I keep changing PMs until I find a really good one.

I have one PM agency who has managed some of our IPs for 22+ years - a great business relationship for both parties.

OzziMelbourne and skater like this.
  4. Futurerent

Futurerent Member

While the process of changing property managers is easy, it's important to make sure the handover between your old and new PM is smooth. I have heard PMs complaining about instances of messy transitions, where the old PM doesn't hand everything over (deliberately or not we don't know) or hasn't kept a neat record, which creates problems for the landlord, new PM and tenant.

OzziMelbourne likes this.
  5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I would recommend finding a new PM and getting them to co-ordinate the file pickup. That way any missing info or details can be followed up and you can minimise information getting lost.

Most PMs would be happy to assist in getting the new file and would be keen to get up to speed asap. Don't worry about what the old agent says to them, any decent PM will not let it affect any judgement.

6. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear OzziMelbourne,
    interview , interview, interview!
    using this process, you may be able to find one you really like!
    Ask what service they offer?
    Ask who you will be talking to or emailing each time?
    It really helps if you are both on the same wavelength!.
    I want 'this and this' you want 'that and that', can we meet in the middle?
    Have a list of questions.
    See how they answer.
    What they do about situations.

I hope this helps!

OzziMelbourne likes this.
  7. OzziMelbourne

OzziMelbourne Well-Known Member

Thanks all

I used a combination of your suggestions and we are now moving forward with a new PM

SeafordSunshine likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.