Changing Software

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Pumpkin, 21st Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

The time has come for us to change our Rental /Trust Account Software....

For those of you who had done it, would you mind sharing what did you do? I would imagine to download all transactions in csv, and as many Reports as possible, but it's just impossible to do all.
    I have looked and it seems that the moment we stop, we will lose access. It doesnt look like they have a read-only copy.....

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Do you have an auditor? Check with them what information/access they might need.
    I would think the best time to change would probably be either end of your trust account year, or the financial year.

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Are you using one of the big boy software platforms?

4. Pumpkin

Currently with a very small company, moving to a Big Boy :)

5. Tom Rivera

We changed recently and couldn't data export. It was an entirely manual process and we did it in house- though some of the companies can outsource it for you.

6. Pumpkin

I still havent gotten a direct answer as to whether they can export data. Fortunately our Rent Roll is very small.
    I have downloaded everything to CSV and expect there will be a lot of C&P.

7. Tom Rivera

Make sure you leave yourself plenty of change over time where you can still access your old database (3 months?) and ask your auditor for a list of things you need to keep, on top of the obvious things.

Pumpkin likes this.
  8. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I changed years ago from PropertyTree to PMe. I don't know if things have changed, but at the time there was no read only through PropertyTree and also no export for PMe so I had to do it all manually :eek:

I downloaded every single report from PT, including all EOFY summaries, ledgers, notes, contacts etc. Manually entered everything into PMe over the course of about a month. The year I changed all owners received two EOFY summaries. I didn't use PT as my filing system at the time, so there was less to do on that end.

I did end of month with PT and started a new month with PMe. I had to go through everything again at the start of the month with PMe and double check all paid to dates. I also kept access to PT for about 2/3 months after the change just in case I missed anything.

Also a good thing to do at the same time is file audits, might as well make sure everything is 100% at the same time. If you need a checklist let me know as I have a great one on Trello I'm happy to share.