Changing Property Address

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kangabanga, 10th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought a house with numbers like 4 /13 /etc... considered unlucky and had it changed to increase the value / make it more marketable? Is it possible and how to go about doing it?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

There's an AUS/NZ standard for house numbering that councils generally follow - if it fits within the standard, then you can ask the council to change it.

3. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

But would it really affect the prices ??

4. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

I have done this before, bought a house that was numbered 44 in Sunnybank (An predominantly Chinese suburb). Split the block and changes the numbers to 42 and 46 rather than the 44a/44b that would be auto assigned.

I believe the number change affected the price (in a positive way), although there is really no way to test this.

The process was relatively simple, call up council before buying explain your reasoning. In my case I got lucky and council was very understanding.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

But wouldn't there have already been a number 42 on the street?

Sonamic likes this.
  6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

And also a 46. Otherwise every other house further down the street has to change theirs also.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I tried to get one changed from 8 as it sounds like hate. So I got the names board to change it t on four + four.

MrFox likes this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Oh gawd, seems I have an unlucky house, seeing it has gained a lot and been no trouble, better keep it maybe.

Many years ago I used to hear all these stories of what Chinese would not buy, I used to think, to hell with them, I will sell to whoever pays. Thinking back, I know a lot of Chinese that own things I was always told they would not buy.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I cut a corner block into 2 blocks and did not want ...1 and 1a, I wanted each block to have indivual number for selling purposes
    Phoned Council and as long as fits in the standard OP mentioned then it's a goer. Definately a good move with regards to my scenario

10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

One of my relatives in SB currently has this exact problem. Chinese neighbours decided that they didn't like their street number so they just changed their address to something with an 8 in it.
    This has caused huge problems with mail delivery etc. BCC seems unwilling to intervene at this stage as the house is on a corner block. It might require some more assertive action to rectify.

Terry_w likes this.
  11. dabbler

I though you may have just changed letterboxes when th eplace next door was vacant.

Yes, unless a new estate, I will be interested to see how this is done.

Also will be interested to hear how you fix things if the lot and DP are not what you like. Or is it ok to have bad numbers there, and then what of the loan amount, etc etc

12. Kangabanga

well i am planning to buy a number 13 house which hopefully can be changed. Perfectly nice new house sold by owner but on market since march. Not splitting the block and its not a corner house.

I think the title number will be fixed and cant be changed, coz i have seen a house sold as number 2 on the contract of sale address but having 13 as its title search address.(but who knows maybe the title address can also be changed? just have to leave the LOT plan number intact as original?)

13. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Well the last one I built has the street number 4 and was in Stage 13 Land Release so I'm screwed. Going to have to hold it forever! :p
    Lucky it's put aside for my 5 year olds starter house.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I lived at no. 13 - never even considered it an issue.

15. joel

joel Well-Known Member

So is no one going to explain how you change your house number without everyone else on the street having to change theirs accordingly?

Joynz likes this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well, it is a Saturday night - people may need some time to respond...

17. Kangabanga

I am thinking I will have to call the council in my area (Brisbane City Council) and probably pay them some money to change the address :D (or maybe I'll just keep the 13 and invite Taylor Swift over for a drink...)

on their website i can only find a section for developers..
    Plan sealing fees | Brisbane City Council

[Request to change the official house number (includes investigation and implementation) $440 per request]

Pretty wet day here in south-east Brissie, I bet most propertychatters in this area are online now :p

18. dabbler

Maybe approach the importance of such things another way.

If we go to suburbs that have a lot of Chinese, what is the expected discount if we buy something with a number that is supposed to be less desirable....

I can see that if your able to have 2 separate numbers for a development how that may be a benefit.

19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

+1 Sold the week we put it on the market

20. dabbler

And the discount due to lucky 13 was ??? ............. :eek: