Changing package with same lender - overseas income

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Jaydub, 3rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jaydub

Jaydub New Member

I currently have a P&I home loan with NAB which has been ongoing for 7+ years. At the time we got the loan, I was working in Australia (i'm an Australian citizen). In the last few years, I have moved abroad and now get paid in USD.

I would like to change my loan to one of the current packages as the interest rates I have at the moment seem to be much higher than the market rates at the moment. How will NAB view such a request given my overseas income? Will it put in the too hard basket and i'm stuck with what I have currently?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If u have decent income and the vals stack up, you arent stuck with NAB per se, just because you have expat income. Easy ? no but probably possible

A product or package switch would rarely require a full application.

Asking NAB wont land you in a scenario where they will refuse finance, you'd just be stuck with what you have as a worst case

ta
    rolf

3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi Jaydub

You can call the NAB retention team and have them change you over to the package. In our experience they wouldn't do a full assessment for it or ask you re income.

4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Depends specifically on what your looking to do:
    - if it’s just a change to your existing loan, e.g. Adding the choice package, swapping to fixed repayments, etc, that’s done via a loan change request with no real assessment of your current situation (just a signature or approval) from your end.
    - if your looking to refinance, reset the loan or obtain a new IO period, this will trigger a reassessment.

NAB have gone from a reasonably good expat lender a few years ago to a pretty poor one (lower LVRa, greater income sharing). That means if your in the second criteria, you may need to switch lenders and doing a full refinance to achieve what your looking for.