Changing loan before settlement

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Nawor, 4th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nawor

Nawor Member

I signed loan docs with CBA last week for a 3 year fixed loan @ 2.24%. Settlement is in three weeks time.

Now that CBA have dropped 3 year rates to 2.14% and made 4 year rates at 1.99% I'm already kicking myself for signing at 2.24%. At the time, I wanted to wait until the RBA dropped but with all the trouble getting the loan sorted I was hesitant to ask for a delay.

Is there any chance I can re-negotiate the rate before settlement?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

yes

3. Nawor

Nawor Member

Thanks Terry.

After reading the offer docs I see the final rate is subject to change and depends on the reference rate at settlement. So it seems they'll now have a 3 year fixed reference rate of 2.29%. Minus a discount of 0.2% gives 2.09%. A great rate but a 4 year rate of 1.99% looks attractive.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Today it does yes.

There is a reason CBA has targetted the outside 3 year window

Why was it trouble to get the loan sorted ?

ta
    rolf

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Is it a purchase or a refinance? If you’re wanting to change the product/rate it will require a rework and it’s unlikely you’ll have it all approved/ready to settle within three weeks.

Cheers

Jamie

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Implying that the longer term vision is for more rate cuts due to a declining economy past the next 4 years ?

7. Rolf Latham

Not so much that, more so that Super funds will have to compete a lot more for sale of their bonds to lenders, who are looking for tighter and tighter margins

ta
    rolf

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some lenders also have complicated "rate lock" arrangements to secure todays fixed rate for a future loan settlement. And charge fees to do that. That said I dont think a single person in this country expects rates to rise short term. Changing from variable to fixed can be arranged once the loan is settled.

9. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Generally loan contracts are set up to obtain the fixed rate at the day of settlement (its a discount factor of the reference rate, which has come down).

We've seen some cases of rates around 1.8% in the middle of the volatility. I.e. some CBA customers may get big wins out of this now. E.g. loan being processed, discount of fixed rate provided and locked into contracts. Fixed rate then drops, but discount still applies.
    Its unlikely many people were taking the 4 year product though.

Essentially that's a bit of luck - hopefully its panned in your favour.

Nawor likes this.
  10. Nawor

Nawor Member

It's a loan for a new purchase.

I've spoken to CBA this morning. They're saying the reference rate will come down to make the three year 2.14% but still waiting for clarification as to whether approved discount applies. I was expecting 2.09% as the approved discount was 0.2% and the quote stated "The quote is for the ‘Total Discount Approved’ only. All other interest rates such as ‘Reference Rate’ are subject to change".

In any event, the loan manager has put in an application to change to the 4 year 1.99% rate. Sounds like it will be ok but the 3 week timeframe is a little short considering there's a lot of other people also wanting to change.

I had some trouble with the loan amount due to being self employed, receiving JobKeeper and having large add backs on a previous year which they weren't adding back. Luckily partner is PAYG.

11. SophieH

SophieH Member

What is the reason? Could you share your opinion? Many thanks.

12. Rolf Latham

I feel its because they have a bond source, whose managers believe that the low rate environment is longer term than 3 years.

Give it a few weeks and some of the smaller lenders with big back ends will come out with some what look like amazing 2 to 5 year rates.

AMP already has, Mac to follow, and possibly ME.

Disclaimer.........If I was any good at picking rate trends Id be writing this from my 150 ft boat with crew in the Bahamas, and not from my 11ft tinny with my dog on the Nerang River :)

ta
    rolf

13. SophieH

SophieH Member

Thanks.
    And I think with the fix rate, you will be limited around 10k/year only; the low rate with 4 years may include some conditions.

14. Rolf Latham

there are a couple of ways around this for CBA as an eg

Cocktail loan - work out how much extra over 10 k one can pay off - split that bit off as variablle

or

if one can do 30 k a year , have 3 loan splits at 30 k ayear

ta
    rolf

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Banking hack: Split your 3yr fixed loan into a series of $30k amounts, giving you the ability to pay them all in full without penalty.

Somehow I doubt the banks would implement this.