Change of government - what does it mean for us

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ronen, 22nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Apparently she spent a year in Brazil on exchange, I think a sort of gap year. She was contemplating medicine, but found that she couldn't handle blood.

She speaks speaks Portugese and Spanish. Having lived in Malaysia until age eight, I'd suspect that she speaks Bahasa Malay, and possibly a Chinese language. Good characteristics for a foreign minister.

Gockie, wylie, ollidrac nosaj and 2 others like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

She's not only very adept at calm diplomacy - she projects competence, professionalism and intelligence

Also very excited that Albo has announced they will dust off the LNP ignored "Statement from the Heart" ... and note the subtle changes that speak volumes ... his staff removed two of the three Australian flags behind the media podium, and replaced them with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait flags.

https://www.news.com.au/national/fe...s/news-story/9d25a78e66c69a90aca04752ae6c7514

Now, before anyone bags into me - I'm a middle ages, squeaky white, Irish/Scottish heritage, comfortably well off, privileged female - so I have nothing personal to gain, other than living in a better social community country where everyone is bought along for the ride as we move forward

wylie, ollidrac nosaj, Ronen and 2 others like this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yes about the Flags. I notice no Collingwood flag. :(
    It's both black and white and brings people together.
    The Australian flag represents all people in Australia, other flags divide us. Don't like the Australian flag change it.

Mmm a referendum about changing the constitution. What if the result is no?

Coffee likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The flags (dividing) is like arguing against flying the NSW State flag on the harbour bridge ... personally I see it as unity rather than division. I see, in many ways, the Australian flag is also divisive - with that pesky little union jack sitting in the corner

What if the result is "yes"? ... we don't even know the question/proposal yet

5. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Yeah, a breath of fresh air. Apparently also a clever girl, used to study Medicine but changed career. Hope she can bring some softener to the China relationship and still maintain our Aussieness.

Mulianto and Lizzie like this.
  6. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Climate is a very real issue when the govn says it will never rain much again, the dams will never fill and thousands of houses have been since built on flood planes.
    What is a "woman"?
    Our whole legal sytems is derived from religious systems that long predate our political system.
    The Queen derives wher power from God. Shal we start there?
    Much of what is defined as "moral" or "ethic" was derived from religion and some old dude that came back from the desert with a couple of flat rocks.
    Can that be seprated?
    Eg marriage was an ancient religious arrangement, should the marriage act be abolished and let people freely form their own relationships.
    Freely? Freedom? Where does that right come from?
    The constitution?
    “from reverence for God and for the salvation of our soul and those of our ancestors and heirs, for the honour of God and the exaltation of Holy Church and the reform of our realm” Magna Carta.
    All easy in theory, complicated in practice.

Last edited: 24th May, 2022
    craigc, MWI, RPI and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

It's complicated to those who refuse to open their mind and widen their horizon.
    You nailed it.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. geoffw

Then a referendum about changing the flag would be a flag poll?

9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

They may well include that on a referendum.
    Along with a Republic question.

I believe it's about about "including" Aboriginals in the Constitution. I once read part of the reason the LNP government hadn't done it was the consequences of if the Vote was no. The recent election shows a change in sentiment so perhaps a good time to review the idea. For Labor to do it.

Last edited: 25th May, 2022
    Lizzie likes this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Russia has lost a lot of Generals in the Ukraine. In recent history USA has lost 2 one of which was a suicide murder in a safe area.
    Leadership doesn't mean the PM has to be present but YMMV. That's how team work happens. You let trusted people do the job. Covid taught us you can work remotely.

A high ranking Army Officer stated on TV that the Army can offer a lot of support. However troops not trained to do the"front line" stuff. I believe the post I answered stated the ADF should have been on the ground in 6 hours. Really tell me more. Probably take that long to get people back to base.

The Law is the Law. Hence at Lint cafe a Police sniper was used not the well trained Commando unit based in Sydney with the current skills needed

WTF I don't care we have a Labor government. I think Albo is a poor choice of PM but we will see maybe I am wrong. Labor and Media blamed ScoMo for everything. Did you know he have himself a pay rise crap like that

Labor used the " not my job sound bite a lot" My first Union job taught me not to.
    Can't wait to see Albo fighting fires and flood rescues etc

The SES stated they couldn't do rescues until they could do it safely. Apparently it was ScoMo's fault for the delay in rescues starting.
    A person dies Family members want answers or vengeance. Supervisor can end up in court on manslaughter charges.

FFS everything currently wrong in Australia is ScoMo and LNP fault.

Albo and Labor will fix it all.

Last edited by a moderator: 25th May, 2022
    craigc and Doncossack like this.
  11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

While both parties have done the same.
    I think 6 to 12 months before the Election both parties should have had a meeting to confirm the choice of PM for the role coming up perhaps with a reduced percentage needed.

George Smiley likes this.
  12. geoffw

A woman phoned the Prime Ministers' office. When the phone is answered she asks to speak to Mr Morrison. She is told: 'Mr Morrison is no longer the Prime Minister.'

The next day she phones again and is told the same thing. On the third time the receptionist queries her, asking if she hadn't previously been told that Mr Morrison is no longer the Prime Minister.

Her response, "Yes, I am sorry. I know, but I just love hearing you say it."

marty998, PaulB, EK01 and 4 others like this.
  13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

The First Nation people should be included in the Constitution, however I would want it spelled out exactly what they wanted from Parliament before I make up my mind. The only information I can find is they want a voice in Parliament to have a say in any legislation that affects them.

To my way of thinking everything that Parliament does affects all of us, not just the First Nation people, as far as I am concerned we are all equal. [Yes, I am aware of the problems in the NT and the social problems]

The Fist Nation people make up 3% of our present population, over 50% of the population were born overseas of have a parent born overseas, the rest of us make up the shrinking population of descendants of Anglo settlers/victors.

I really wonder if the referendum will succeed with the present mixed population, how many of us will really care?

Doncossack, Piston_Broke and Coffee like this.
  14. geoffw

At this stage there is no referendum. My post about a "flag poll" was only intended as a joke. Subsequently it was only mentioned as a possiblity. So there's nothing on the cards afaik.

In 1967 provisions against aboriginal people were removed from the constitution by a resounding yes vote (> 90%).

There is now no mention of aboriginal people at all in the constitution.

There is a push for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to be recognised as first peoples. I don't know that this has yet achieved much traction in the wiser community.
    About Constitutional Recognition | Australian Human Rights Commission

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Constitutional Recognition | National Indigenous Australians Agency

Anthony Albanese has committed to the Uluru Statement from the Heart. This is what it means

Mmmmm no idea how long you would remain PM if the vote is no.

I guess they do have a good Advertising company they use so anything is possible
    Labor Party’s ‘spin doctor’ let slip ‘a few secrets’ (msn.com)

16. geoffw

But it's not a vote. It's a statement.

While I strongly suspect there will be further action, it's irrelevant talking about a vote before the matters going to a vote aren't even known yet.

Edit. My mistake. The statement calls for a change to the constitution. So the call is there, but no action as yet, although Albo has backed it.

Last edited: 29th May, 2022
    Lizzie likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

From what I understand - and I do not pretend to speak for First Nations People - they want to be acknowledged in the constitution (cripes, they weren't even considered "citizens" until 1967) - and to have a voice in the matters/decisions that affect them directly and specifically, such as healthcare, housing, community, education - not the matters that affect "everyone".

Often the decisions regarding these are made by city dwelling squeaky white guys, who have no idea what life is like - the cultures and challenges - on the station lands and in traditional communities.

Last edited: 29th May, 2022
    wylie, EK01, freyja and 1 other person like this.
  18. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Ronen and Lizzie like this.
  19. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

The voted to include them, which was good. Will they vote to them into special status?

Is there a constitution in the world that mention any type or segment of the population?
    None of the few I know. The all have in their first paragraphs that every is to be treated equally.
    Some even have provision that equality paragraph cannot be changed by any gov or referendum.
    And it was one of the reasons a constitution actually exists.

MWI likes this.
  20. geoffw

From a quick search, Canada
    THE CONSTITUTION ACTS, 1867 to 1982