Change in number of tenants

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Melmac, 30th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Melmac

Melmac Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

When we bought our IP, the already renewed lease had only 1 tenant's name on it. The monthly rental statements we receive from our Property Manager also only had that 1 tenants name on it whereas on last 2 statements I have noticed that there is another tenant's name on the rental receipt.

I am just a little surprised that the PM dint advise us of the fact that now there are 2 people living in our IP and how did they manage to add another name on the rent receipt when that person is not on lease.

Just wondering if this is normal?

I am worried how this affects our insurance given one of the questions in insurance questionnaire was:

There is one lease in place that meets legislative requirements and the persons named on the lease are the same people residing in the property? And our PM responded "yes" to this.

Any advise is much appreciated.

TIA

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be putting these questions to your PM.

Melmac and JacM like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It’s normal for a tenant to have a partner.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've heard that some may have more than one (and children too). :eek:

How dare they?

Xenia likes this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Plus a stealth cat

6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Melmac isn't suggesting that it's abnormal or unacceptable for the tenants to have a partner, friend or whoever this person might be. The question was whether it was normal for the PM to fail to advise that someone else had moved into the property, and how it might affect something like the insurance policy.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

You do need to ask the PM what's happened here. You need to establish;
    1. Why the PM didn't think to contact you for approval regarding the chance.
    2. Has the PM followed the correct procedure. Has this person provided a full application and is there a paper trail confirming their approval to be either lease holder or approved applicant.

TMNT, Melmac, JacM and 1 other person like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This /\/\/\

We had a couple of young guys who invited a friend in to share the rent. That new friend caused trouble, handbrake turns in the street, neighbours calling police for his dangerous driving, neighbours calling me to ask if I could have the late night drinking under the house curtailed (they had a new baby).

Our young tenants responded to my request for the late night chatter and drinking to be toned down. They were nice guys, just a bit clueless and very young.

I suggested to them that the police and NHW are watching and they might like to leave without penalty or be dragged into the issues caused by their new mate (befriended at the gym).

They were nice young guys and did leave, but the newcomer was not on the lease. Had he dug his heels in, we would have ended up with someone causing real nuisance, not on a lease, invited by the tenants without our knowledge or consent.

Luckily it resolved but it could have become tricky.

TMNT and Tom Rivera like this.
  8. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

I was added to a mates rental lease, With no approval from the owner.

Long story short, he was living with his GF, they broke up, he needed to split the rent so I moved in, I stayed for over a year, the agent was knew the situation and never asked me to put my details on the lease however after 18 months I added my details to it so I had a rental reference for future rentals.
    I imagine this could've caused confusion for the owner.

I never thought twice about it at the time but thinking now if I was the landlord I would've liked to be informed.

Melmac likes this.
  9. Melmac

Melmac Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom, exactly my point. I am not saying that they cant have another person living with them but the concern is why i do not know about this.

I will ask PM above questions and see how it goes.

10. Melmac

Melmac Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding silly, i am asking this question.

So a person can live in a rental property without having their name on lease?

11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yes of course. Not a silly question though.

TMNT and Melmac like this.