CGT on 1.5 yo investment

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by ches, 22nd Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ches

ches Active Member

I purchased an apartment OTP in 2013 and lived there from 2015 (the date is was completed) until Aug 2019.
    I bought another and moved into the new one (Aug 2019) and rented out the first one.
    I had a bank valuation done at that time. Prob should have had a proper one done as it would have been higher than the conservative bank val.
    Am I liable on CGT for the 1.5 years (approx) I havent lived there? If so, how do they work it out? Do they look at the difference between a current valuation and the one done when I moved out? Or do they use some other method?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

potentially CGT free - but you need tax advice on the consequences.

3. ches

ches Active Member

Yeah Ive emailed my accountant - I'm probably impatient but thought Id make a post.
    I claimed tax on it for the 1.5 years and my current understanding after reading a couple of articles is that I will have to pay CGT on it.

4. Terry_w

You won't have to, but ...

ches likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The cgt main residence construction rule, residence rule and absence are all are needing to be confirmed

6. ches

ches Active Member

What do those rules state?

7. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

The ATO website has a lot of good info and examples to give you a better idea Treating a dwelling as your main residence after you move out

8. ches

ches Active Member

9. Terry_w

The accountant is wrong if what you wrote in the first paragraph is correct.

Travelbug likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would agree with Terry's view. I do NOT see that tax is applicable although several issues need confirmation. Nothing complex to be honest adn a routine question for any property savvy tax adviser. If the former home is treated as the main residence under the absence rule then the newer property will incur a future CGT issue based on time apportioning. But you need to understand that and the benefit it brings. Now its non-deductible ownership costs could become "deductible" for CGT purposes. You just need to know what to maintain as records to acecss that. I would also agree it may even be worth getting a proper val. depends

Terry_w likes this.