Census coming, what are the juicy stats?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Keanan, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Keanan

Keanan Member

Hi folks,

With census data coming in June, does anyone have any tried and true census data points that they find very useful regarding selecting where to buy a sub 600k run down fixer upper in the North/West of Melbourne? Sunshine, Ardeer, Albion, Derrimut, Deer Park, St Albans and surrounds. I'll be looking for employment stats, demographics, forecasted growth, infrastructure as well as some other things.

I would be appreciative of any tips so I can avoid becoming bewildered by all the noise...

Much obliged,

Keanan

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Owner occ v Investment property ratio is something you could also consider for each suburb. More owner occs the better.

Keanan and adam duckworth like this.
  3. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

Most of the 2016 census data is (are?) out. Are there any starts that are relevant in choosing a suburb to invest in? So far, I've got population growth, change in median rental and household income, unemployment rate change, %OO/renter, and the rates of change compared to national/local. Any stats that might correlate with capital growth/yield? Or any that ring alarm bells? Or is it not very relevant as long as positive growth factors are present ?

I will probably answer my own question, but obviously the stats don't tell the full story and economic and council decisions are likely more important.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The predominant age of residents and what facilities they will want in the future - family homes, low maintenance, lowsets vs highsets etc