Census 2016

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 3rd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Next week is Census time. I have had a gem shared with me from a reliable contact that has indicated that the "online" nature of this information will give many agencies access to data through the ABS that could change the way past Census data has been used. It will also be available far faster than ever before for interrogation and "rework"

While personal information wont be shared by the ABS the following are typical property related uses:
    - ATO can determine and create a current database of properties that are tenanted or owner-occupied. For example Fred is a tenant and indicates how much rent he pays etc. Fred provides his home address. This information may be matched to current and past known rentals for undeclared issues. Fred's details are protected but the owner may be asked to explain if the income is being declared.
    - ATO database of properties could be matched with titles to determine non-resident or "ghost" owners circumventing tax, CGT or FIRB concerns.
    - Determination of properties that are potentially subject to CGT. When later sold if a CGT event is not reported enquiries to understand valid reasons could be made.
    - Use of the database of properties by the ATO shared with OSRs regarding potential land tax liability
    (Remember that the states have an agreed sharing arrangement with the ATO under Commonwealth funding arrangements)
    - Centrelink benefit recipients where inconsistencies arise between properties and other taxpayers

Luca, pinewood, S0805 and 3 others like this.
  2. John Bone

John Bone Well-Known Member

If they use the information in the way you describe I think that would be fantastic. The idea of catching tax cheats and fraudsters is a great way to justify the dollars spent on the census. Let's have more collusion between the ABS and the ATO.

Perthguy, Kesse and wylie like this.
  3. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

All of those things you point out Paul are only going to catch people who are doing the wrong thing.

I don't see an issue... if everyone pays the tax they legally should then tax rates can be lowered for everyone.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm sure eveyone is doing the right thing...
    Interesting to know though.
    I'm not confident they will only use it for that.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

1470269474624-386903104.jpg

Need to check out the census and statistics act 1905

6. mcored

mcored Member

As I already filled out mine on 2 August and got a receipt, I am not intending to redo it on 9 August.

7. Newyproperty

Newyproperty Well-Known Member

I work in enterprise level IT solutions.

I can tell you that government organisations are buying heaps of SAPHANA appliances. These are in memory DB's that can run huge queries at massive speeds.

What was not possible before or took too long to run is now possible. They can run complex queries and scenarios that they could never run before.

They are even running queries about how you lodge your tax return, people who lodge if slightly different to others are being red flagged and checked.

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

9. Paul@PAS

The Gov (ATO and Defence technically if you believe in budgets) own a super computer that is shared with other intel agencies inside a secure site (ADF / Intel). They farm data galore now. When they run the Census against it !!!

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Tell that to the Jews, gays and Gypsies.

Ardi and Ouga like this.
  11. Newyproperty

I dont know about any super computers, i just know about SAPHANA. A lot of the government agencies have these. They are beefy systems spamming multiple racks with many... many TB's of memory.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that they're able to do anything sometimes.
    And yes, I have worked for government ;)

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ooh, this should be a good one... <grabs the popcorn>

14. Newyproperty

yeah try having them as a customer...

15. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Heck, with your continuous postings I thought you still did.

Jamie_ and Colin Rice like this.
  16. Paul@PAS

And the Jedi's....Last Census the religion of Jedi Master was a popular reply

17. Paul@PAS

Cost was undisclosed / classified and ran over. A lot. Its one of a handful in world. $800m was one rumour. Purpose built building is all thats known. Ben Chifley Building is a rumoured home but of course its classified. Others rumour its in the HQJOC which houses defence.... Also a bunker.

18. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

@PFI is it true the ATO are not a government department but a privately owned corporation?

Is it possible not to have an ABN and therefore not in a binding agreement with the ATO?

19. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What?

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

This is new to me, so I could be wrong, but my understanding is ATO is operated through the Australian Government Department of Treasury.

Australian Taxation Office | The Treasury

I think the issue referred to is that the ATO itself is not a legal entity.

My understanding is that the legal entity would be the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation.

Moeliker v Chapman B8/2000 [2000] HCATrans 242 (17 May 2000)