Census 2016

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 28th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

:) agree.

Yes, but even offline there are issues. Have a read of how the "secure" Diebold machines used in the US have been able to be hacked/tampered with (in the past at least). The result is that the veracity of the individual's vote is compomised - yes, you voted. But did it correctly register who you chose. And of course you can't tell; even if you personally get a "receipt" it means nothing unless you add up everyone's receipts in the seat.

Again, the big difference is that if it's electronic then huge changes can be made to voting and the results of an election. That's not to say it's easy to do it (hacking the machines themselves for example). But imagine if you could guarantee a particular electoral result - there are definitely people out there who would pay a lot of money (making it worthwhile from the perspective of the crooks) to have that result! Sometimes forcing people to spend time and money turns out to be pretty good security, and helps democracy ("Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." Churchill, 1947).

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Hanging chads!

That seems more like an automated manual, rather than offline electronic system to me. Something I had not though of is the cost. I was thinking more of the convenience. I think properly implementing offline, electronic voting would be expensive:-

Critics argue the need for extra ballots in any language can be mitigated by providing a process to print ballots at voting locations. They argue further, the cost of software validation, compiler trust validation, installation validation, delivery validation and validation of other steps related to electronic voting is complex and expensive, thus electronic ballots are not guaranteed to be less costly than printed ballots.​

3. Perthguy

But the crooks keep winning elections! ;)

Reading up on hacking the Diebold Accuvote TS Electronic Voting Machine. Yeah, that's just sloppy:-

A lot of voting machines are sitting around in the church basement, the elementary school gymnasium or hallway, unattended for a week or two before the election.
    Not secure.

We can do this because most voting machines, as far as I can tell, are not encrypted. It's just open standard format communication. So it's pretty easy to figure out information being exchanged. Anyone who does digital electronics - a hobbyist or an electronics fan - could figure this out.
    Not secure.

If we were going to implement electronic voting in Australia, it would have to be a lot more secure than that.

Something else I didn't think of was a corrupt scrutineer tampering with results. But what is to stop a corrupt scrutineer from just substituting paper votes or dumping in a whole pile of paper votes? The current system isn't fool proof either.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am used to being useless!!!

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I heard of somebody who is so much against being counted in the census that he's going to be leaving the country for a time.

He's taking leave of his census.

JenW, bob shovel, marty998 and 4 others like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I was on foot today. Had a monk chase me down and nearly had to use my rape whistle for the dog that wouldn't let me off a porch! :D Extreme censusing! I survived.
    The monk forgot he was having guests and needed another form and the dog i told to p!$$ off and was harmless. The junkie owners were probably more dangerous

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Ahhh....Google probably knows more about me than the ABS

The Government regularly asks me for repeat info, no such issues with Google ;)

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I sent someone a fruit basket yesterday. Been getting ads on this site for fruit baskets ever since.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My MIL has asked if she can come to dinner on Census night and if I can lodge hers online. I'll be doing ours too obviously, so is there an issue that two forms will be lodged online from the same computer?

I'd call the Census people but she said she has tried calling for other questions and just cant get through, so I thought someone here may know.

10. geoffw

It shouldn't be a problem. Tell her to bring the number she got on the piece of paper.

Apparently the phone lines are clogged.

11. Perthguy

I have a vacant investment property. Am I supposed to log in with the number in the letter and advise ABS the house is empty?

12. wylie

Thanks Geoff. She has the letter and will bring it, so I'll go ahead as planned.

13. Ed Barton

I wonder how many people will not do it due to being online? Seems more important/official when someone knocks on the door and hands you a paper survey.

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I did it last night but it seems so different filling it in online. Did it on an iPad screen.
    When it came to the question on unpaid housework the categories were 0-5 hours, 5-14 hours and a bunch of other categories. I wish I could have put in the one over 5 hours but in honesty, I dont do all that much house work.... there's a bit of cooking (I think preparing my own meal... does that count as housework? Maybe not), vacuuming, dishwashing, very occasional gardening....I think packing away my own clothes doesnt really count as housework either. So I put in 0-5 hours per week.

15. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Just do it whenever if you've a fair idea of where you'll be on the night.

I did ours online this morning, took about 6 minutes and got a receipt to say it was submitted.

Job done.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. wylie

I didn't think you could do it early, that it HAD to be done on Tuesday 9th?

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Nope just leave it, they've allowed for half of perth houses to be vacant :p

Perthguy likes this.
  18. geoffw

Their phones aren't coping as it is. So their computers might not be able to cope if everybody did it at the same time.

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

MMMM
    GovCo data matching and cross referencing :rolleyes:
    Hope there is an allowance for the 12 hour night shift workers out there (who wont be "home" that night, or the FIFO workers)

20. Ed Barton

I'm going to submit mine by telex - seems like the sort of tech the ABS will be able to deal with. If that fails I'll send a telegram.

wylie likes this.