ceiling fans or air con

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by melbourne171, 24th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Surely theres no hard and fast rule...

How.does the house form thermally? good orientation, ventilation, insulation? then fans are fine. if its an uninsulated brick properyy with no eaves and cops a lot of afternoon sun then a fan will not be enough because heat will be radiated into the house long after sun goes down and moving air around wont do enough

Rebecca and Gockie like this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Going to demolish ?

Sounds like no palace, so no ducted. (and you may not get rent when they get the power bill)

Prolly no split.

Fan/s & maybe a portable AC...

gman65 and Gockie like this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Just last week I had an aircon installed in the lounge room and a ceiling fan in each of the 4 bedrooms in an IP in Brisbane. Cost me a bit under $3200 all up ($900 supplied and fitted for fans with lights).

KayTea, JZ93 and Rebecca like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

My thought is that you really must know your IP intimately, the clientele, the structure, the neighbourhood, the specifics.... There is no One-size-fits-all.
    Agree that generally AC or fan would increase the rentability to any property. However exceptions noted thru my own IPs:
    1. Townhouse in Uni area: students pledged to us NOT to install AC because they dont want rent to go up and to pay electricity.
    2. 2-bed Unit inner city: total of 3 AC and 1 fan: been on market for over 3 weeks with rent dropped twice.

5. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar situation with one of my timber flats- quote was ~ $2k for 5 fans which I thought was steep. As I'll be knocking these flats over in 12 months used that as payback period wrt increase in rent. Suspect tennants won't go ahead...

6. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

Without seeing the property its hard, however if there's a light switch and light in the room, I can do a ceiling fan for around $100-$150.

Minimum height from the bottom of the ceiling fan to floor is 2.1m.

KayTea and WallyB66 like this.
  7. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Is there a need for extra wiring if it's a fan/light combo? I would expect it but I'm no electrician.
    I have a place with a flat roof so no access to run extra wiring. It already has a fan but no light. The only light in the bedroom is a fluro pelmet light which is not enough.

Main bed has an air con as well as the fan but there just isn't enough light in the room. Hence the reason I want to change it to a fan/light combo

8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

And standard minimum ceiling height is 2.4m.. so just make sure the fan depth is less than 30cm, not all are.

9. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Then tenants can supply their own pedestal fans.:p

But really ceiling fans should suffice.

10. beertank23

No, you only need an extra switch wire when you want to run a wall switch. You could most definitely turn it into fan/light combo if there's already a fan there. One thing to consider is clearance between ceiling and floor (2.1 minimum).

There's always space to run cables, sometimes it is just more difficult, I'm guessing you'd just have to remove roof sheets or if you're luck you can use the existing cable as a draw wire.

Shady likes this.
  11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Can always have both.
    Fans in bedrooms + living
    A/C in Living only (for those super hot days).

Running fans are cheap, A/C not so much.
    So it depends on the demographic.

12. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks.
    I suspect there was once a light in the middle of the room and they converted it to a fan leaving a weird positioned pelmet light over the window which leaves the room quite dark. Added difficulty is that the house is full brick so not a simple matter of running more cables up the stud wall.

Attached Files:

13. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

Hi @mikey7 do you know the size of the air con you installed on your IP in Brisbane? and who you went with? Thanks

14. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

How big is the house? If it's on the smaller side then a decent sized A/C in the living area strategically located (assuming house allows) will do a fair job of most of the house , Ie if it can be mounted to direct down through the living and then a hallway. (assuming it's insulated, makes a big difference). Then fans in the bedroom.

I figure this gives tenants the opportunity cool the house on the hotter days, closing up unnecessary rooms, while cooling down the rooms later in the day/evening, with fans to assist during the night. A cost effective balance.

Though if it's temporary I wouldn't bother, remote ceiling fans that could be reused for timing being.

15. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

In our goodna / ipswich properties , we've been going fans in bedrooms and living rooms and AC in living room . Using a fan lights , not much extra and some tenants don't want cost of act in all the time as they can be expensive to run .

Haven't gone to AC in bedrooms .

Easier to rent with fans and AC .

Cliff

16. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Yep, just had a look at my invoice.
    It is a 5kW reverse cycle inverter split system.
    Cost $2,299 supplied and installed.
    Was through DC Electrical (dceq.com.au).
    They got it done the day after i accepted the quote.

17. beertank23

Brand?

I just did my own 6.5KW back to back, $1000 in the unit and $100 in cable/parts etc and $100 for a fridgey mate to come crack the pipes and put the vacuum pump on.

18. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

Cheers thanks @mikey7 Ill give them a call

mikey7 likes this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've found on small splits the install will roughly equal the cost of the unit. Back to back about $700 unit and $700 install (recently).

20. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Mitsubishi.