Caveat by Commonwealth of Australia

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Sir Savien, 25th Mar, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sir Savien

Sir Savien Active Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

I am looking to purchase a property and have just been provided a copy of the title certificate by the sellers agent. I have noticed that there is a 'Caveat By Commonwealth of Australia' lodged in 2020 on the property.

Property was registered in the 1980s with no further change in ownership since then. I had thought that all properties with a caveat were unable to be sold without the caveat being removed first? Am I mistaken here?

I am in the process of asking my solicitor regarding this, but was wondering in the meantime if this is something to be concerned about. What kinds of situations would this caveat be added by the government? Would this prevent bank financing?

Additionally, is there any government branch I am able to contact for further information on the specifics of any caveat/encumbrance on a property I wish to purchase?

Appreciate your help with this!

2. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

Definitely seek advice from your legal representative - Possible that it is a Caveat registered pursuant to an Equity Release loan under the Home Equity Access Scheme - see link

Home Equity Access Scheme - Services Australia

Nothing to be concerned with generally - the loan will be paid out at settlement and a withdrawal of caveat provided.

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2024
    Terry_w and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Sir Savien

Sir Savien Active Member

Hi Dan, didn't know about this one thanks.

In this case as it's a loan from the government, am I correct to assume that no mortgage will be noted on the title certificate? There is no mention of any mortgage after the 1990s.

4. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

That's correct - The Commonwealth registers a Caveat over the title as opposed to registering a mortgage. The Caveat is withdrawn on settlement in satisfaction of the loan funds outstanding.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Commonwealth of Australia ?? Could also be ATO via the solicitor general. Usually they then lift it once the correct notices issued to a buyer to withhold and pay $XXXX to the ATO. It has a liability effect on a buyer to remit net proceeds to ATO and not the vendor. Once the correct notice is issued the caveat is lifted. Its a shackle on the buyer to comply or they are personally liable.

6. Sir Savien

Sir Savien Active Member

Thanks guys, have confirmed with the agent that it's to do with the owner's pension and will be withdrawn prior to settlement. Apparently it's pretty common.

Dan L, Paul@PAS and Terry_w like this.