Cash settlement, tax implications

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by asharden12, 14th Apr, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. asharden12

asharden12 New Member

Quick rundown of my situation. I have a rental house, had a hail storm hit. Applied for insurance, insurance has agreed to cash settlement only. The rental is currently on the market for sale (divorce settlement). The cash settlement is for 77000. So my question is, do I have to do all the repairs? Can I just do some of them and retain the leftover money from the settlement? How will this work for my tax? There is no rental income included in tge payout. It is to repair the roof to the standard of which it previously was, so like for like. Is the payout assessable as income as it’s for repairs only? Thanks I’m advance

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No. The assessable issue must consider the deductible. It falls under the assessable recoupmnet rules.

The amount of $77000 would come off the costbase if no repairs are made. This also works in part in proportion. eg 50% of quoted repairs are made. Then $35K is assessable, 100% of repairs (Approx $35K perhaps more) deductible. Then $35K comes off costbase

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice