Cash reserves US $

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Beano, 15th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I noticed in today's Australian p34 Australian banks are offering 2.4% pa on 6 mths US$ deposits
    What are some some rates you gave been getting (currently I am only getting 1.1%) ?

2. Karina

Karina Well-Known Member

I don't bother with term deposits when I can invest the funds in US property and get a much higher rate of return. There are opportunities in many cities take your pick. I reinvest my US$ rents back into purchasing more property.

Here is one I bought in Atlanta in Dec 2017 for 100k , spent 11k on rehab and its worth 150 - 160k now + I am getting $1195 month in rent. That's US dollars so 40% higher in Australian dollars.

This is the home I bought
    344 Rosemont Court, Hiram
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/344-Rosemont-Ct-Hiram-GA-30141/237723475_zpid/

Rocky likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You should get 3 % or close to it from Aust institutions. Depends on flexibility.

4. Rocky

Rocky Active Member

Nice! Just curious what something like this would have been valued at prior to the crash? Do you have any data?

5. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Wonder where it will be after Christmas if there are 2 more rate rises.
    Wasnt the article also about hedging your bets if the AUD loses value and buying quality US bonds.

Last edited: 16th Sep, 2018
  6. Karina

Karina Well-Known Member

These were selling around the $140k - $150k newly constructed in 2005 prior to the crash, some sold as low as 40-60k in 2011/2012 (bottom of the market) . The growth in Atlanta is coming from jobs and population growth. The key to buying well is finding the properties that are still below replacement cost.

See below
    Atlanta declared third fastest-growing metro area in the nation

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2018
    Rocky likes this.