Casement and Sash windows Repaint

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Damz, 12th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Damz

Damz Active Member

Hi everyone

I was going to install magnetic screens to my windows to keep unwanted spiders and mosies out, I was advised to refresh/fix any paint issues before the magnetic screens are installed (something I considered last year and deprioritised due to cost).

This work seems now logical as pre-screening, the challenge is that I have 23 Casement Casement Window.jpeg + 5 Sash Windows and I considered the following:
    - Remove Sash mechanism/springs for 3 so they can be opened freely (no support of weigh or springs as it tend to fail after ? years)
    - Take Windows off (remove Hardware Fasteners & Stays) and sand off the old layers of paint to remove roughness/dents
    - Potting the timber and around glass lights + prime then apply paint (not sure if 1 or 2 coats are needed?)
    - Do the same to Frames (without taking them out of course)
    - Install new hardware then put the Windows up/install them
    - I am inclined to buy the hardware my self and get a professional (most likely from Airtasker) to do the job within a budget of $2,000 for labour and primer/paint material

The house is a brick home from 1946 (see photo) with a beautiful character, the challenge is that we live in the house so I need someone efficient, experienced and can do a perfect job (so far, I couldn't find a painter/handyman who will come on site to assess and give me quote hence I am relying on AIrtasker

- Hardware cost could be 1500-2000 in addition to Airtasker cost of 2000 (I checked with a paint stripper here in Brisbane and they charge $50 per window but I need to take them off to their site)
    - Does this plan seem reasonable? if not, what could be done better?

P.S. I am no handyman and I want to avoid rework or mistakes that could be costly!

Last edited: 12th Mar, 2019
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the hardware isn't broken, don't replace it.
    Don't take the windows off, sand and paint the windows insitu. Get yourself a reasonable orbital sander. You probably won't need to take the paint back to the timber, just remove all of the loose/flaking material.
    Putty will take at least 2-4 weeks to cure before painting. Remove all loose putty with a putty knife, knead the new putty before applying.
    You may want to contact a window guy to replace the spring balances etc and redo the putty

housechopper2 and Damz like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What suburb is this? Our painter might be interested in quoting.

Damz likes this.
  4. Damz

Damz Active Member

Holland Park in Brisbane

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'll send you his details. He lives in Coorparoo.

Damz likes this.
  6. Damz

Damz Active Member

this is gold. thanks @wylie