Cars & Motorbikes Car phone charger in California, USA

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by larrylarry, 14th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hi guys

We will be travelling to US in a couple of days. We have leased a SUV while we are there (not sure about the specifics as my wife planned the entire trip herself. I only need to turn up). Can I use my Sony Xperia or Samsung's google maps when I'm there? Also, will the car phone charger here appropriate for use in the hired car or is it better to hire one of their navigation devices?

I'm also going to get a local SIM card with data when I'm there. Wouldn't want to use Telstra's roaming.

2. larrylarry

I also have a Tom Tom but have not used it since googlemaps.

3. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

No idea because it depends on the car, most decent cars these days come with USB ports in them so if it's a decent car you should just need the cable, if not have a look at what ports come standard in the car and you can work out what kind of charger would be needed but generally car chargers are universal.

You will absolutely want to get a US sim (so make sure your phone is unlocked) because the roaming is brutal otherwise (mate used $20 in like 2 minutes of google maps when we were over there on roaming) but yep, you can use google maps and the like.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What is a cigarette lighter outlet? Are they universal or do they have imperial sized ones in the US?

Are the USB ports the same?

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2015
    sanj likes this.
  5. larrylarry

I was wondering if a cigarette outlet adaptor can be used. Need to find out a bit more from the car hire.

6. larrylarry

Great thanks. I'm pretty sure my phone is unlocked, Telstra charges an arm and leg for use.

7. THX

THX Well-Known Member

The hire car will likely come with a gps, or pay a little extra for one. Phones just charge via usb so depending on the car it might have a usb port, or get an adapter that fits in the cigarette outlet, roaming fees are expensive so either get a local sim or just turn it off, plenty of free wifi (not on the road obviously) for the net and remember when driving in the U.S., don't do below 90(MPH) and close your eyes :D.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb - if you're overtaking everyone, then you are probably speeding. If they're overtaking you, you're going too slow.

9. larrylarry

In 2004, I drove from NYC to Boston in the middle of the night...had to keep to my slow right lane. I'll try to be a model global citizen.

10. larrylarry

11. THX

THX Well-Known Member

The cousin-in-laws once drove us home from dinner to our downtown LA hotel at 1am. Bumper to bumper traffic for an hour, gotta love LA :p

larrylarry likes this.
  12. larrylarry

Also, would you buy electronic products from America? Is it usually cheaper? Like Go Pro, tablets etc.

13. THX

THX Well-Known Member

They are mostly cheaper but with the dollar the way it is now I don't think you'd be saving much if anything at all. I got back from there last week and definitely felt the exchange rate difference this time.

edit. For example go pro hero 4 is $399 at BestBuy, that's $554 AUD. You can get it at JB Hifi for $549. Of course you could shop around both there and here but the savings are small.

14. larrylarry

Thanks @THX we pretty much paid for all accommodations, disney, ski etc, we'll just have to pay for food and some events I will be attending. Looks like a trip to Google for free food is now a must!

15. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Exchange rate has certainly taken a big chunk of this benefit away. Also factor in that you will need to buy converters or chargers as all wall plugs will be on the wrong voltage.

Certain products it's absolutely worth doing still though, I think clothes are a bigger one than electronics right now, such a better choice and so much better prices.

16. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Cool. Also depends where you're going. New York for example is just across the board more expensive for everything than say LA. Clothes are almost always cheaper for the most part, the variety and range make up for it if they're not.

17. larrylarry

You're probably right. Friends told me to go shop crazy because they are still better than here. I shall see. I don't have a lot of patience for shopping.

18. larrylarry

Only the West Coast and Hawaii this time. NYC will be too cold for us I think. Maybe when the kids are older.

19. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Nice, like Hawaii. It wasn't too bad, 5 degrees was the coldest in NYC but of course getting much colder now and in jan.

20. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Cigarette lighter ports are universal and passenger vehicles are all 12V. Used my chargers fine. I take my own Navman and download the US maps for ~$10 for 30 days use just before I leave. It works brilliantly.

Every time I go, I just visit a T-Mobile store when I get there and buy a monthly pay as you go sim with calls and data included. That way, no surprises. Usually have another cheap handset with my Aus sim in it just to receive calls and turn off the cellular data.