Cars & Motorbikes Car head units

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 15th Mar, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm looking to replace the stock head unit in our Toyota Aurion with something that is Android Auto compatible (double-DIN size).

Does anyone have any recommendations on decent head units and installers around the Artarmon area?

I'd prefer reliability and ease of use over fancy features - if my wife can't use it, it's not going to work.

Don't need to be able to watch movies on the screen or link into external amplifiers / subwoofers etc.

Wireless connectivity would be preferable.

Will mostly just be used for audio and navigation.

One model I've been looking at is the Sony XAV-AX4000

Any suggestions?

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I picked up a JVC KW-M560BT (currently $370).
    Its got a Capacitive Touch screen, has wired Carplay and Android Auto.
    The GPS with Waze/Google works well with Apple Carplay. Overall works very well

Wireless Carplay/android auto I've read can be quite unreliable at times.

DIY is pretty simple these days.
    You can buy Aerpro connectors specific to the car, so no splicing required, pretty much makes it plug and play - provided you're comfortable at using non marring tools to remove the dash.

Toyota Aurion 2015-2018 | Aerpro

3. willister

willister Well-Known Member

What year is your Aurion? I have a 2010 Camry Touring, DIY quite easy as most sell wiring harnesses which are now plug and play - may get a bit more complex if you have reversing cameras though - I had to buy another hardness and retrofit some wiring to get that in as Toyota uses a smaller voltage I think 5.5V vs most which use 12V for the reverse camera as well as the need to use a RCA cable conversion.

I'd also stick with something with real buttons/dial knob for better control. I have the
    JVC KW-V930BW 6.8" but this is discontinued as it had the DVD as well (now out of fashion/use). Excellent screen shame that its just too low for me.

I'd stick with JVC/Kenwood for a decent price/quality/features ratio.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's a 2010 model, not Touring edition, but was a special edition that included similar body kit (rear spoiler, alloy wheels, etc) plus a better head unit than the standard model and it does have a reversing camera.

I'm looking to get a dashcam installed at the same time, so will need to run power for that as well - which is why I was not going to attempt installation myself.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The reverse camera does make it a little trickier, so maybe skip DIY.
    I had to look up a whole of websites before i found one that showed me which was the reverse camera trigger which I then soldered to my the reverse wire trigger o the headunit.

As for the dashcam, that is actually pretty simple, you can use a wire tap and then connect it to a 5amp or 10amp fuse. You will need a multimeter to test which which one is on when the "acc" is on and which one is constantly on.
    Hardwiring the dashcam was way easier than working out which one was the reverse camera trigger wire on the toyota harness.

I know from time to time, Bankstown Sound Audio do offer free installation of dashcams (when you pay RRP on the dashcam). Usually on when its special, dashcams are 20% off RRP.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is Strathfield Car Audio still around? Usually good for the Sony/JVC/Pioneer head units and installation.

A lot of the Android units insist on being not wireless. Dunno why but it's a difference I note between my Apple and DH's android phone. Plugging in generally isn't the end of the world as the phone then charges too

7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Ask me after the 28th. I'm having the Sony XAVAX6000 installed to our Kluger. Cost was $1100 fitted.

8. willister

willister Well-Known Member

One thing to bare in mind, the glare on most of these units are horrendous given the better resolution and glossy finish that plus the whole angle of the screen made me think wasn't that great of an upgrade. The only thing I benefited was a much larger reversing screen given the old one was really small.