Cars & Motorbikes Car Finance Tips

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Michael.Knight, 12th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

My understanding is the lenders take the monthly payment of the car loan and compare to what that same monthly payment would be able to service for a home loan and use this to calculate your serviceability.

Eg take a typical 30k car loan which costs say $600 per month and compare that to what $600 per month would service as a mortgage - around 100k. So in this example, having a 30k car loan has the same effect on your serviceability as an extra 100k on your mortgage. If this is correct then that's a big hit and obviously exponentiates once you get to larger car loans.

chylld likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I used to have just second hand cars for many years. But when we had a lot of cash from a business sale, we decided to get a new car. Just a Hyundai i30, but a car I really like. We upgraded from a Falcon which we had bought at 30,000 km- when we finally ran it to the ground, it had 230,000 km. We no longer needed a big car, with the nest now empty.

It was about $20,000 - I was actually surprised that new cars were so reasonable. I really like the usb port and bluetooth- and it drives beautifully as well. Gadgets are important to this nerd- it's great having a huge choice of stuff to listen to, not just limited to radio stations and the CDs I could fit into the car. I've had it about 30 months, I'll probably keep it about the same time again.