Capital improvement or repair?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Itsame, 25th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Itsame

Itsame Member

Hi all,

I’ve been a lurker here for a while but haven’t needed to post...until now.

I have a regional IP valued at $150k. On a recent condition report I was told the shower was leaking and the base has warped allowing water to escape the shower, also water-damaging the timber behind.

I was quoted $3.5k to repair and install a new shower screen. I decided to get a second opinion who recommended ‘gutting’ the whole thing and doing the whole bathroom with Vinyl. This would cost $7.7k.

Would the first option be depreciable and the second option be a capital improvement? Any pros/cons I should be aware of?

Sorry if the answer is obvious but I’m a bit of a newbie to this.

Thanks in advance

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I'd buy a fibreglass shower cubicle

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

How long have you owned the IP for? If the damage occurred while you were renting it out, you should be okay claiming the $3K as a repair.
    You are correct in thinking that if you reno the whole bathroom, it's an improvement.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  4. Itsame

Itsame Member

I’ve owned the property for a little over 5 years. I thought maybe I could claim some of the $7k as a repair and some went to capital?

5. Depreciator

Five years is good.
    Yep, you might be able to split the total cost into repairs vs improvements. The quote of $3,500 for the repair job would be a useful guide. Let your accountant know that you understand there is a point where a repair strays into improvement territory.

6. Itsame

Itsame Member

Great, thanks for your posts!

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I wouldnt. The whole lot is an improvement. You cant say you have a $3500 quote so that much is a repair out of a $7K refurb. I think you need to be able to demonstrate two things.

1. That the shower portion is repaired and its cost. Photos of the damage and its replacement using like for like will help that.
    2. What the balance relates to.

A detailed invoice breakdown into the two elements is quite important.

8. Itsame

Itsame Member

I probably won’t be replacing like for like, so that means I won’t be able to get away with any of it as a repair even though the only reason I am repairing it is due to it being faulty?

9. Depreciator

It depends on how much of the subfloor needs to be replaced. If the water has damaged the bathroom structurally, there may be some scope for repairs. But the majority of the work will be an improvement.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

And that where photos help. Timbers that are damaged help support the argument that the repair was extensive as the damage was extensive