Capital gains tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Yson, 10th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

Hi, is it true that non resident is not entities to the 50% discount on capital gains any more, eg if I have 1m gains, 1m is taxable instead of 500k?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes since about 2017

3. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

But from the web I also saw a day of May 2012, so is it 2012 or 2017?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It might be 2012 - I am not sure when it came in now.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

This cant be determined. Are you referring to direct or indirect property or shares ? Is the propertya former home ? When did you change residency ?

A person who was resident and is no longer resident should seek personal tax advice. I see many people who blindly assume the CGT amount is fully taxed when that may be completely or partially incorrect. I have seen many taxpayers given poor tax advice. I have a client who saved $600K through a second opinion. (Needless to say he was very happy)

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

8 May 2012 was the Rudd era shaving of the general CGT discount. A valuation rule was introduced for some taxpayers who were affected at that date. It is commonly ignored by tax advisers and can be a very sound investment in a valuation report by a reg valuer after getting advice. I deal with a handful of such enquries a year for initial advice by tax advisers who dont regularly deal with property tax issues. Half come from the advisers to me which is alarming. The other half are concerned taxpayers.

Terry_w likes this.
  7. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

it’s an investment property that was bought in jan 2011