Capital gains tax 'discount' on foreign investment property for Australian resident

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Merlin, 31st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Hi all,

In Australia, I understand that there is a 50% capital gains tax 'discount' applied to capital gains on an investment property owned in Australia if you are a resident of Australia for tax purposes. That is if you make $100k in capital gains, your tax assessable income goes up by 50% * $100k = $50k in the year that you sell the property.

A few years ago, it is my understanding that they removed the CGT 'discount' if you are a non-resident of Australia for tax purposes and you owned an investment property in Australia. That for an Aussie expat in Singapore/HK etc, they are hit with Australian income tax on the full $100k gain when selling.

That is discussed here:
    CGT discount for foreign resident individuals

My question is this: If you own an apartment overseas but you are a resident in Australia for tax purposes, do you get the CG 'discount' when you sell that overseas apartment?

I found this ATO link:
    Capital gains on overseas assets

It states:
    "If you are an Australian resident, your capital gains on overseas assets are treated in the same way as your capital gains on Australian property. If you make a capital gain that is taxable in Australia and you have paid foreign tax on it, you may be entitled to a foreign income tax offset."

To me that implies that if an Australian resident sells a foreign apartment and makes a $100k capital gain, they are only taxed on $50k in capital gains as they can apply the CGT discount.

Is this correct?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This will depend on double taxation agreements because the capital gains might be taxed overseas and you might get a tax credit on the tax paid over there. I recall a case from a few years ago where this resulted in the 50% CGT not fully applying in Australia.

If there is no taxation overseas you would generally get the 50% CGT discount here.

3. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Thank you for your swift answer!

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Potentially correct. However many issues can imapct this:
    1. The market value of the property on the date they become a AU tax resident if that applies. See also #3 which may also impact.
    2. The AU terms value of the property cost and its sale based on ATO exchange rates
    3. Whether the 6 year absence concession is available and is chosen.
    4. If they have CGT losses

the lost CGT discount applies in the suituation someone is a non-resdient for Australian taxpurpsoes. None of those days allows the person to access a 50% CGT discount. But they can still acess some limited exemptions. These may end at 6 years maximum after residency changes

5. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Thank you Paul for your insightful comment.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.